Saturday, October 8, 2016

October 8, 2016 - The Chainsmokers + Halsey (2)


Alright, before I say anything else, I noticed that we've hit 5,000 page views! That is pretty nice. It may not be much at the moment, but it's a nice early point to be happy for. I still haven't decided on what I'll do for that point, but I'll think of something. Anyway... I'm surprised that Spyder Harrison managed to host this round, because he wasn't hosting yesterday afternoon's block, presumably because of Hurricane Matthew. And on that note, I've seen terrible damage caused by it, so I can only wish the best for those that are/have been affected by it and are in its path. So without further ado, here are the songs leaving us this week.
  • Lovesick by Jacob Whitesides (#29)
  • The Sound by The 1975 (#32) (!!!!!)
  • Missing You by All Time Low (#42)
The Countdown!
Last Week’s #1 Song: Closer by The Chainsmokers featuring Halsey
45. 7 Years by Lukas Graham (#44)
44. No by Meghan Trainor (#43)
43. Just Like Fire by P!nk (#39)
42. Dangerous Woman by Ariana Grande (#45)
41. Victorious by Panic! At The Disco (#40) (one week at #1)
40. New Romantics by Taylor Swift (#37) (two weeks at #1)
39. Work From Home by Fifth Harmony (#41)
38. Cake By The Ocean by DNCE (#38) (four weeks at #1)
37. Mama Said by Lukas Graham (#36)
36. I Took a Pill In Ibiza by Mike Posner (#33) (two weeks at #1)
35. Setting The World On Fire by Kenny Chesney featuring P!nk (#30)
34. Me Too by Meghan Trainor (#34)
33. Fresh Eyes by Andy Grammer (debut)
32. I'm Not Famous by AJR (#31)
31. Stressed Out by Twenty-one Pilots (#27) (five weeks at #1)
30. This Town by Niall Horan (debut)
29. Body Say by Demi Lovato (#29)
28. Send My Love (To Your New Lover) by Adele (#25) (one week at #1)
27. Starboy by The Weeknd featuring Daft Punk (debut)
26. Kids by OneRepublic (#21)
25. Let Me Love You by DJ Snake with Justin Bieber (#26)
24. I Hate U, I Love U by gnash featuring Olivia O'Brien (#35)
23. The Little Things by Big Gigantic featuring Angela McCluskey (#25)
22. Spirits by The Strumbellas (#19)
21. Perfect Illusion by Lady Gaga (#22)
20. Death Of a Bachelor by Panic! At The Disco (#23)
19. Gold by Kiiara (#20)
18. We Don't Talk Anymore by Charlie Puth and Selena Gomez (#10)
17. My Way by Calvin Harris (#18)
16. Girls Talk Boys by 5 Seconds of Summer (#15)
15. Sit Still, Look Pretty by Daya (#14)
14. Cold Water by Major Lazer featuring Justin Bieber and MØ (#16)
13. Ride by Twenty-one Pilots (#17)
12. Never Be Like You by Flume featuring Kai (#11)
11. Hymn For The Weekend by Coldplay (#13)
10. This Is What You Came For by Calvin Harris with Rihanna (#9)
9. Into You by Ariana Grande (#7)
8. Treat You Better by Shawn Mendes (#6)
7. Unsteady by X Ambassadors (#8)
6. Starving by Hailee Steinfeld and Grey featuring Zedd (#12)
5. Don't Let Me Down by The Chainsmokers featuring Daya (#5) (three weeks at #1)
4. Can't Stop the Feeling! by Justin Timberlake (#4) (ten weeks at #1)
3. Cheap Thrills by Sia featuring Sean Paul (#3)
2. Heathens by Twenty-one Pilots (#2)
#1 Song This Week 1 Year Ago: Stitches by Shawn Mendes (first week at #1)
1. Closer by The Chainsmokers featuring Halsey (second week at #1)

Biggest DRRRRRRROP!!! Of The Week: We Don't Talk Anymore by Charlie Puth and Selena Gomez (-8)


Biggest Jump Of The Week: I Hate U, I Love U by gnash featuring Olivia O'Brien (+11)


New Entrants

- To start with, we have Fresh Eyes by Andy Grammer. He's had two songs here in recent times - the #1 hit Honey I'm Good, and Good To Be Alive (Hallelujah), and they both had good to them. Anyway... I thought this song was alright to start, but nowadays I find myself unable to get it out of my head. God help me. I know there's not too much to it, but I kinda like it. Heh.

- Now we've got ourselves yet another member of One Direction branching off on his own, with Niall Horan releasing a new track named This Town. To say the least, I think it's a cute little acoustic song, even if it isn't anything particularly new. It may take some time for me to really warm to it, or it could sour on me. We'll see.

- Finally we have something new, with an unusual duo teaming up, in Starboy by The Weeknd featuring Daft Punk. This sound is pretty cool, even if the production doesn't have that much to it. I think this one is quite neat, and those "ha, ha ha, ha ha"s in the chorus kinda fit the mood. So yeah, I definitely like this one and am sure it'll do well, seeing how high it is on Billboard currently.

I'm A I'm A I'm A Blurb-Boy

- Not gonna waste any time talking about our exits, because we had two very disappointing ones today. Lovesick by Jacob Whitesides was fun, so I wish it didn't have to leave from a decently high position. But more importantly... We lost The Sound by The 1975, which was doing alright up until the last few weeks. I shall take a brief moment to honor this one. While you may not have been popular elsewhere, I always enjoyed your presence and listening to you and your well-crafted, well, sound. Even though some from this community didn't care for you as much, you've been a big favorite of mine from this year and I didn't think you'd disappear this easily. I also remember the time that I introduced you to North America, which was a great time. I really wish your fate would've been happier than this. Farewell, The Sound. I will miss you.

- Before introducing Victorious, Spyder said that Temple University's marching band performed a medley of some Panic! At The Disco hits. Heh. I remember visiting Temple once back in 2012, that was interesting. Too bad I didn't actually go there. #repforphilly

- I'm really not sure why I still like both of our two two week #1s that are still here. I guess I feel obligated to like Taylor Swift. I did put I Took a Pill In Ibiza by Mike Posner in dark yellow, however.

- Apparently, the version of Kids by OneRepublic that was played here was the album version. Their new album just dropped yesterday. I haven't heard it outside of here yet, so I thought I forgot how the song sounded. Heh.

- Why isn't Let Me Love You by DJ Snake with Justin Bieber doing better than it is? You'd think the Biebs would be going higher with a song like this. And I've really been starting to like it.

- When Kid Kelly was going through the Most Downloaded songs near the very end, I Hate U, I Love U by gnash featuring Olivia O'Brien was one of them, and I recall it briefly playing the original then transitioning to the Deepend Remix, which Hits 1 plays. Kinda makes you wonder why they play the versions of these songs that they don't use.

- Yet another week where the biggest DRRRRRRROP!!! of the week is higher than the biggest jump.

- Before introducing Into You, Spyder said that Ariana has been preparing by playing a lot of Dance Dance Revolution, while he likes to prepare for the countdown by playing Bejeweled, or something like that. I need to find a different, fun mobile game to play to prepare for my routines.

- Treat You Better by Shawn Mendes is on the verge of becoming extremely annoying. Please start making your way down soon.

- I will say, I laughed at Spyder's phone conversation with some guy pretending that his computer was being hacked before introducing Unsteady by X Ambassadors.

- Oh, I'm gonna get some shit for #6, aren't I? But this song wasn't great for me to start and it has quickly become grating.

- So our top five remains the same. Again, I really want Heathens by Twenty-one Pilots to hit #1. If it doesn't, I WILL be pissed. There's a part of me that feels like Closer will be Shake It Off by Taylor Swift all over again and hogs the #1 spot for a super long consecutive time, which I hope doesn't happen.

Hit-Bound

Still Falling For You by Ellie Goulding
24K Magic by Bruno Mars (debut)
Good Grief by Bastille
Green Light by Pitbull featuring LunchMoney Lewis and Flo Rida
The Greatest by Sia featuring Kendrick Lamar
Bacon by Nick Jonas
All Time Low by Jon Bellion (debut)
Kiss The Sky by Jason Derulo
Red Dress by MAGIC!
Be As You Are by Mike Posner
Chase You Down by RUNAGROUND
Body Moves by DNCE
Scars To Your Beautiful by Alessia Cara (debut)
This Girl by Kungs vs Cookin' On 3 Burners

- Yesterday, when Ryan Sampson from The Morning Mash-Up filled in for Spyder Harrison, before he played Still Falling For You at one point, he talked about Ellie Goulding denying she was pregnant with Prince Harry's baby, and doesn't plan to have one of her own anytime soon. Kinda ironic that this song is for a movie that's based on a woman in her 40s having a baby, but I digress.

- So yeah, this is an important week for Hit-Bound, as we have yet another return, this one from Bruno Mars, by the name of 24K Magic, which is the first thing he's made on his own in four years. To put it easy, I stayed up until midnight yesterday to listen to the song, then bought it on iTunes at 12:10 AM... And less than 22 hours later, it had 24 plays on my iTunes playlist, and that's not counting watching the video or the three times I heard it on Hits 1 in the three hour drive we took to visit our folks. I think that tells you my thoughts on the song right about now. ;) I'll save most of my talk for when it debuts most likely next week, but yeah, I may as well reserve my purple then for this one. It's also worth mentioning that today is the man's 31st birthday, so happy birthday to him! I bet he chose to release it around this time for that reason.


- I'm not exactly sure what I think about All Time Low by Jon Bellion. I'll have to give it more listens to really understand it. And is it just me, or does this guy sound a lot different here than he did in Beautiful Now with Zedd?

- Yes, Red Dress by MAGIC! is still here. I don't even know why.

- We have more Alessia Cara, with Scars To Your Beautiful. After the excellent Here and the fun Wild Things, this is nice.

Top 20 Breakdown:

0 — Shit:
20. Sit Still, Look Pretty by Daya
19. Gold by Kiiara

1 — Bad:
18. This Is What You Came For by Calvin Harris with Rihanna
17. Starving by Hailee Steinfeld and Grey featuring Zedd

2 — Meh:
16. Treat You Better by Shawn Mendes
15. Unsteady by X Ambassadors
14. Cheap Thrills by Sia featuring Sean Paul
13. Don't Let Me Down by The Chainsmokers featuring Daya

3 — Decent:
12. We Don't Talk Anymore by Charlie Puth and Selena Gomez
11. Ride by Twenty-one Pilots

4 — Good:
10. Girls Talk Boys by 5 Seconds of Summer
9. My Way by Calvin Harris
8. Never Be Like You by Flume featuring Kai
7. Death Of A Bachelor by Panic! At The Disco
6. Closer by The Chainsmokers featuring Halsey

5 — Great:
5. Can't Stop the Feeling! by Justin Timberlake
4. Hymn For The Weekend by Coldplay
3. Into You by Ariana Grande
2. Cold Water by Major Lazer featuring Justin Bieber and MØ
1. Heathens by Twenty-one Pilots

Overall score: 61/100

Countdown Bottom 5

1. Me Too by Meghan Trainor
2. No by Meghan Trainor
3. Work From Home by Fifth Harmony
4. Sit Still, Look Pretty by Daya
5. Gold by Kiiara

Countdown Top 5

1. Heathens by Twenty-one Pilots
2. Cold Water by Major Lazer featuring Justin Bieber and MØ
3. Starboy by The Weeknd featuring Daft Punk
4. Into You by Ariana Grande
5. Let Me Love You by DJ Snake with Justin Bieber

Hit-Bound Top 5

1. 24K Magic by Bruno Mars
2. This Girl by Kungs vs Cookin' On 3 Burners
3. Green Light by Pitbull featuring LunchMoney Lewis and Flo Rida
4. Kiss The Sky by Jason Derulo
5. Scars To Your Beautiful by Alessia Cara

Most Missed Song: Locked Out of Heaven by Bruno Mars


#1 Recommendation For Hits 1 And The Countdown: HandClap by Fitz and The Tantrums


Songs That Debuted This Week One Year Ago:
Feelings by Maroon 5 — That groove is pretty good, but...my god, fuckin' Adam Levine. This had potential to be great.
Someone New by Hozier — While I wasn't as big a fan of Take Me To Church as certain people, I do feel bad that the guy was never able to get a proper second hit here in America. But I have to say, I think I like this more. 
Victorious by Panic! At The Disco — Heh, wow, this is awkward.
Different Colors by Walk The Moon — Wow. This round had two follow-ups from acts that were one-hit wonders. 

Thanks for reading, everybody!

14 comments:

  1. Nice post! I 100000000000000000% agree with you on 24K.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Closer is also a 2-week #1. So far.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also, do you think that 24K Magic will be the next Uptown Funk?

      Delete
    2. Well, I don't think it'll have the same monster run on the Hot 100 that Uptown Funk did (as in absolutely destroying on the charts and landing very high on Greatest of All Time), but I am hoping for some success from it - hopefully enough to make the Decade-End Hot 100 in three years. ;)

      Delete
  3. Feelings by Maroon 5 — That groove is pretty good, but...my god, fuckin' Adam Levine. This had potential to be great.

    Its because of Adam's high voice in the chorus isn't it? Also I realized it sounds a lot like Makes Me Wonder doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I remember TheDoubleAgent referring to it in his Best #1s of the 2000s video. Groove is nice, then his high falsetto hits out of absolutely nowhere. Kinda makes it a hard listen. And yeah they do sound kinda alike!

      Delete
  4. #1 Recommendation for Scott: John Legend - Love Me Now

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That one will probably debut on the Billboard Hot 100 next week.

      Delete
  5. Scott, do you remember listening to Charli XCX/Rita Ora – Doing It?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kind of. I may have listened to it like on my own once or twice but I wasn't paying as much attention to Hits 1 while it was there.

      Delete
  6. #1 Recommendation for Hits 1: Fifth Harmony - That's My Girl

    ReplyDelete
  7. #1 Recommendation for Scott: Kehlani - CRZY

    ReplyDelete