Saturday, November 12, 2016

November 12, 2016 - Shawn Mendes (1)


So first off, I'm sorry this countdown post is out a little later than usual, I overslept this morning and missed the first third of the countdown or so. Sometimes I wonder why I've been making myself wake up at 6 AM just to listen to some music and talk about it to people who are far younger than me... Not to mention Donald Trump has officially become president of the United States (well, he will be sworn in come January, if I'm not mistaken). And yet, that has nothing to do with my not feeling great, though I do think people's reactions are getting disproportionate. And let me state right now: I would like to keep my political views out of this blog, so please don't bring it up here. Got it? Yes? Good. But on a much happier note, Pokémon Sun and Moon are releasing this coming Friday, and so is Bruno Mars' new album 24K Magic, both of which are gonna be awesome. Can't wait for that, at least! So without further ado, here are the songs leaving us this week.
  • Just Like Fire by P!nk (#38)
  • Work From Home by Fifth Harmony (#45)
The Countdown!
Last Week’s #1 Song: Closer by The Chainsmokers featuring Halsey
45. This Is What You Came For by Calvin Harris with Rihanna (#27)
44. Dangerous Woman by Ariana Grande (#42)
43. Perfect Illusion by Lady Gaga (#43)
42. We Don't Talk Anymore by Charlie Puth and Selena Gomez (#44)
41. Body Say by Demi Lovato (#40)
40. Good Grief by Bastille (debut)
39. Gold by Kiiara (#22)
38. Girls Talk Boys by 5 Seconds of Summer (#36)
37. I Took a Pill In Ibiza by Mike Posner (#41) (two weeks at #1)
36. Body Moves by DNCE (debut)
35. My Way by Calvin Harris (#37)
34. New Romantics by Taylor Swift (#33)
33. Stressed Out by Twenty-one Pilots (#30) (five weeks at #1)
32. Bacon by Nick Jonas (#23)
31. Send My Love (To Your New Lover) by Adele (#32) (one week at #1)
30. Starboy by The Weeknd featuring Daft Punk (#29)
29. Can't Stop the Feeling! by Justin Timberlake (#28) (ten weeks at #1)
28. Don't Let Me Down by The Chainsmokers featuring Daya (#25) (three weeks at #1)
27. I Hate U, I Love U by gnash featuring Olivia O'Brien (#24)
26. All Time Low by Jon Bellion (#33)
25. Fresh Eyes by Andy Grammer (#26)
24. Greenlight by Pitbull featuring LunchMoney Lewis and Flo Rida (#39)
23. Ride by Twenty-one Pilots (#9)
22. Side To Side by Ariana Grande featuring Nicki Minaj (#20)
21. Unsteady by X Ambassadors (#21)
20. Chase You Down by Runaground (#31)
19. Setting The World On Fire by Kenny Chesney featuring P!nk (#17)
18. Cheap Thrills by Sia featuring Sean Paul (#6)
17. Kids by OneRepublic (#19)
16. That's My Girl by Fifth Harmony (#35)
15. Death Of A Bachelor by Panic! At The Disco (#15)
14. Cold Water by Major Lazer featuring Justin Bieber and MØ (#8)
13. This Town by Niall Horan (#13)
12. Into You by Ariana Grande (#10)
11. 24K Magic by Bruno Mars (#14) (GET IN THE TOP 10!!!)
10. Scars To Your Beautiful by Alessia Cara (#18)
9. The Greatest by Sia featuring Kendrick Lamar (#16)
8. Don't Wanna Know by Maroon 5 (#11)
7. Sit Still, Look Pretty by Daya (#12) (Are you serious...)
6. Hymn For The Weekend by Coldplay (#4)
5. Let Me Love You by DJ Snake with Justin Bieber (#3)
4. Heathens by Twenty-one Pilots (#2)
3. Starving by Hailee Steinfeld and Grey featuring Zedd (#4)
2. Closer by The Chainsmokers featuring Halsey (#2) (five weeks at #1)
#1 Song This Week One Year Ago: Hello by Adele (first of 12 weeks at #1)
1. Treat You Better by Shawn Mendes (#7) (first week at #1)

Biggest DRRRRRRROP!!! Of The Week: This Is What You Came For by Calvin Harris with Rihanna (-18)


Biggest Jump Of The Week: That's My Girl by Fifth Harmony (+19
)


New Entrants

- Remember Bastille? Those guys with that well-known hit Pompeii from 2014? Well they're back, with Good Grief. It's a song about an ex that the lead singer lets on that he doesn't like, but if she were to leave, he'd miss her. He'd miss her. He'd miss her more. At first I found this really unmemorable and could barely remember any lines from it aside from the chorus, but I've come to like it a lot more. While I don't see it blowing up like Pompeii did and it's definitely not as good, I hope to see success from it.

- Then there's DNCE, with Body Moves. Not too much to say about this one aside from it being more disco-esque and fun for right now. It's not quite as sleazy as Cake By The Ocean or as uninteresting as Toothbrush, but we'll see how long it sticks with me.


I Blurb You, I Blurb You, I Blurb You More

- So, for starters, our two exits. Even though both of them were unavailable for vote on the site, I was not expecting either of them to leave right away seeing as I heard both of them while out this past week. Heck, I even heard Just Like Fire yesterday. That one I know was a huge fan favorite among this community, but eventually it did get old to me. We'll see if it has a chance at my top songs of the year, though. Work From Home by Fifth Harmony, on the other hand, got its completely deserved boot out of here. While I know that two certain people I won't name are grieving its departure, I was well past sick of these five saying I should quit my job. Good day.

- Very cathartic to see Gold by Kiiara take a big drop. Hopefully it won't be much longer for the countdown.


- Bacon by Nick Jonas is sandwiched in between two former #1s. Haha, wow, that was not an intentional pun.


- Something tells me that Starboy by The Weeknd featuring Daft Punk will be leaving us soon. That makes me a sad panda.


- Before introducing Can't Stop the Feeling! by Justin Timberlake, Spyder Harrison had Justin's version of True Colors, which is also featured in the Trolls movie, playing in the background and mentioned how Justin said that he cried when he heard it himself watching the movie. Spyder also mentioned how when he's crying when leaving a theater, he tends to pretend that he's tired. Something like that.


- Ride by Twenty-one Pilots has dropped out of the Top 20. It has definitely been in that region for a long time, so it was to be expected eventually. But during Hit-Bound, it was the second Most Wutchuwanted stop of three, so it may rebound next week.


- How the heck did Side To Side by Ariana Grande featuring Nicki Minaj drop?!?! I heard it so much over the past week.


- I wonder if this will be it for Cheap Thrills by Sia featuring Sean Paul for real this time.


- All three of our debuts from last week progressed. One took a moderate jump, one thankfully took a pretty nice jump, and the other unfortunately had the biggest jump of the week into the Top 20.


- Before introducing Cold Water by Major Lazer featuring Justin Bieber and MØ, Spyder talked about how Justin Bieber was recently in a bar in Toronto and played on a piano doing stuff like his own music, Beethoven and Beatles songs. Very interesting. He's not on their level but that does sound cool at least.


- Before introducing Dangerous Woman, Spyder mentioned Ariana Grande and boyfriend Mac Miller were possibly soon for a wedding, even though they've only been dating like two months. I also heard him hastily pick up a piece of paper. Then before introducing Into You, he said that they were considering having kids. Wow, are we about to have another former tween star go crazy? I wonder what kind of impressions her children would get seeing this album if that were to actually happen.


- Oh my god, enough with Sit Still, Look Pretty by Daya jumping in and out of the Top 10!!! I know I rant about this like every week but it's taking up a spot in there that could be occupied by far better songs.


- On that note, our Top 10 is a mixed bag. We have two songs that are extremely annoying - including our #1, which I'll get to in a bit, two that while not quite on that level are still pretty undesirable, one that is about to become very annoying, four great songs and one that's not quite as good but still pretty fun. There are certain other songs that would make for good replacements (hint: one spot right below the Top 10).


- Which brings us to our top spot. While I am glad that Closer isn't there, I'm not wild about our new #1. I had a feeling it would hit #1 back in the fall...but now it's really old. But I heard it introduced as a Most Wutchuwanted earlier this week, so I was concerned about the possibility of it. It doesn't help that the song just left the top 10 on the Hot 100 recently. But he did have a previous #1 on the countdown, so I guess it is a song that does make sense as a #1.


Hit-Bound

In The Name Of Love by Martin Garrix and Bebe Rexha
Million Reasons by Lady Gaga
Kiss The Sky by Jason Derulo
Play That Song by Train
Still Falling For You by Ellie Goulding
Love Like We Used To by Captain Cuts (debut)
Love Me Now by John Legend
Mercy by Shawn Mendes
Blow Your Mind (Mwah) by Dua Lipa (debut)
She Sets The City On Fire by Gavin DeGraw
Love On The Brain by Rihanna
The Night Is Young by The Summer Set
Say You Won't Let Go by James Arthur (debut)
Words by Daya (debut)

- We have quite a few debuts this time around. For starters, we've got Love Like We Used To by Captain Cuts, which is pretty fun, but a little screwy at times. I'll talk more about it if it debuts.


- Blow Your Mind (Mwah) by Dua Lipa feels a little cheesy, and her voice can get annoying at times, but I kinda like it.


- I talked a little bit about Say You Won't Let Go by James Arthur last I reviewed the YouTube15, and I find it quite reminiscent of Thinking Out Loud by Ed Sheeran.


- Daya has yet another song here, with Words. That drop is kind of annoying, but the lyrics are okay I guess. It's definitely better than the lousy Hide Away and Sit Still, Look Pretty, but I can't see it turning green anytime soon.


- And on that note, Red Dress by Magic! has FINALLY left Hit-Bound. So we're looking pretty good right about now.


Top 20 Breakdown:

0 — Shit:
20. Sit Still, Look Pretty by Daya
19. That's My Girl by Fifth Harmony
18. Treat You Better by Shawn Mendes

1 — Bad:

17. Starving by Hailee Steinfeld and Grey featuring Zedd
16. Don't Wanna Know by Maroon 5

2 — Meh:

15. Closer by The Chainsmokers featuring Halsey
14. Cheap Thrills by Sia featuring Sean Paul

3 — Decent:

13. Setting The World On Fire by Kenny Chesney featuring P!nk
12. Kids by OneRepublic

4 — Good:

11. This Town by Niall Horan
10. Chase You Down by Runaground
9. Death Of A Bachelor by Panic! At The Disco
8. Let Me Love You by DJ Snake with Justin Bieber

5 — Great:

7. Cold Water by Major Lazer featuring Justin Bieber and MØ
6. The Greatest by Sia featuring Kendrick Lamar
5. Hymn For The Weekend by Coldplay
4. Into You by Ariana Grande
3. Heathens by Twenty-one Pilots
2. Scars To Your Beautiful by Alessia Cara
1. 24K Magic by Bruno Mars

Overall score: 63/100


Countdown Bottom 5

1. Sit Still, Look Pretty by Daya
2. That's My Girl by Fifth Harmony
3. Gold by Kiiara
4. This Is What You Came For by Calvin Harris with Rihanna
5. Treat You Better by Shawn Mendes

Countdown Top 5

1. 24K Magic by Bruno Mars
2. Side To Side by Ariana Grande featuring Nicki Minaj
3. Greenlight by Pitbull featuring LunchMoney Lewis and Flo Rida
4. Scars To Your Beautiful by Alessia Cara
5. Good Grief by Bastille

Hit-Bound Top 5

1. In The Name Of Love by Martin Garrix and Bebe Rexha
2. The Night Is Young by The Summer Set
3. Love Like We Used To by Captain Cuts
4. Million Reasons by Lady Gaga
5. Love Me Now by John Legend

Most Missed Song: Treasure by Bruno Mars


#1 Recommendation For Hits 1 And The Countdown: Shout Out To My Ex by Little Mix


Songs That Debuted This Week One Year Ago:

Hotline Bling by Drake — Memes. Memes. Memes and more memes. That basically sums up this song for you. Too bad the rest of the song isn't that exciting. And it flopped here.

Thanks for reading, everybody!

11 comments:

  1. "...just to listen to some music and talk about it to people who are far younger than me."

    I can relate in a way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can relate also but the opposite way. ;)

      Delete
    2. Oh shut up, the only song from pre-2000 I know you like is Bohemian Rhapsody by Queen.

      Delete
    3. I like many more and I'll list some later. And I mean to feel weird talking about music to people a lot older than me.

      Delete
    4. I know he mentioned Any Way You Want It, though he got into that one from I think Pitch Perfect.

      Delete
    5. I didn't really mean it in that way, I meant I feel weird talking about music to people who are older than me. And I heard that song before Pitch Perfect but yeah I began to love it more from that.

      Delete
  2. Scott, I really like your post, it looks nice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. #1 Recommendation for Scott: Sabrina Carpenter - Thumbs

    ReplyDelete
  4. I tried to download pokemon sun and moon from few websites but it's not working. Can someone please check if these websites are legit?
    www.pokemonsunandmoonromdownload.com

    Please check

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete