Wednesday, February 15, 2017

2017 Grammy Awards Performances!

Hey, everyone! So the 59th Annual Grammys were this past weekend. I have to say, some of these performances I liked a lot better than the American Music Awards performances. Not all of them were ideal, but overall it was definitely a fun awards show to watch. And as always, there were performances. So, which ones did I like the most? Which ones bored me? Read on and find out!

Also, I am going to be rating the performances out of 5, with the usual scale, and not out of 10. When I did the American Music Awards page, Adrian noticed that I didn't give any of them a 10/10. If that's any indication... Since I started using that scale as opposed to the more broad one, I've realized that I'm not as good at rating things out of 10. Instead I find it easier to decide between shit, bad, meh, decent, good and great. If I had been using the 5-point scale in the AMAs there would've been a few 5s there. So yeah. I'm sticking with that from now on. But enough about that. Let's get on with it.


Opening act: Hello by Adele



My thoughts: Though I do love the song, in the chorus I do feel like she was a little wobbly as opposed to the studio version, even if that's to be expected. But she was definitely expressive, and I like how they kept the chanting in the bridge and the transition into the last chorus. Not to mention I found the fact that she didn't perform Water Under The Bridge instead to be a missed opportunity. So I guess this was a nice way to start things off, even if it wasn't completely ideal.


My rating: 4/5


I Feel It Coming by The Weeknd featuring Daft Punk



My thoughts: I did like the fake out into making us think that he'd be performing Starboy. While I do like that one, this was the new one. That aside, I liked the backdrop and setting, and he definitely took it all out with this one. Pretty solid for this one's first live performance I've gotten to watch.

My rating: 5/5


The Fighter by Keith Urban and Carrie Underwood



My thoughts: Although this didn't feel like country, I can hardly care, because I have to say, I really liked this performance. While their vocals weren't the main standout (although I can see that for country performers), the instrumentation was the real seller. It's made me come to really appreciate this song, and I'm not the biggest fan of country of all. But this was good. Very fun to watch.


My rating: 5/5


Shape Of You by Ed Sheeran



My thoughts: I did notice that he wasn't actually playing the guitar until during the first chorus, and it felt like the synth was playing itself. But Ed definitely sounded enthusiastic, and it didn't feel like an off performance at all, either. So, even if there wasn't much to it, this was still solid.


My rating: 4/5


7 Years + Peter Pan mash-up by Lukas Graham and Kelsea Ballerini



My thoughts: Though I like both of these songs, this mash-up feels like it makes more sense than it should. But 7 Years isn't the best song to hear performed live, and this didn't do it that much justice. Overall I just didn't find this one that exciting. Maybe it's just how wobbly Lukas was, but yeah, wasn't feeling this one. I'll admit they had some cute synergy, at least.


My rating: 3/5


Love Drought + Sandcastles by Beyonce



My thoughts: The beginning was weird. Okay, big confession time: I'll admit I actually never got around to listening to Lemonade in its entirety (hey, I'm a working man in my mid-20s and have a lot going on in my life that I do, even if some of it is unproductive). I know, I'm terrible. Anyway, I had no idea what was going on in that trippy intro leading into the song. I kinda zoned out because of the intro, but I was back up and attentive once she got to Sandcastles. And I guess I can appreciate her intention with what she was doing bringing all those people in. So yeah, this got off to a weird start but it was respectable enough.


My rating: 3/5


In between that performance and this next, one, there was a karaoke-esque performance of Sweet Caroline by Neil Diamond, along with a bunch of guests. I'm not going to grade it as it was kind of a joke performance it felt like, but I will say that the song hasn't aged perfectly. That aside...


That's What I Like by Bruno Mars



My thoughts: Even with my personal bias, this guy really does know how to get it on. While I still do like the title track from his new album more, they definitely had moves and I may have liked this performance more than that one in November. And how about that backdrop? His backup squad also sold me on this one too. I also liked that brief slowdown in the middle of the last chorus, then they stepped off stage to make it a bit longer. Solid all-around. Also, I heard on Hits 1 In Hollywood the other day that this guy would have the most talked about performance of the night. And while I wouldn't agree, this was solid.


My rating: 5/5


Chained To The Rhythm by Katy Perry featuring Skip Marley



My thoughts: While I'm liking the song, I don't really get what the "house" theme has to do with it, I mean first the lyric video and then this? That being said, it felt pretty trippy, between the fence being barricaded with a scene of water and then fire. I'm still not really sure what Skip Marley does for the song, and I'll have words for that most likely on Saturday, but I did like when the fences came apart, and Katy herself was good, but not quite ideal. But now I have a feeling people are gonna get upset about "political" matters here...


My rating: 4/5


Born Under A Bad Sign by William Bell and Gary Clark Jr.



My thoughts: Another performance I kinda zoned out for. While I do like jazz, I guess I just wasn't big for this one overall. And I guess that's kinda my fault for not really paying attention, but yeah. I guess they were alright but I wasn't interested.


My rating: 2/5


Once by Maren Morris and Alicia Keys



My thoughts: I don't think Alicia Keys sounds very good live, and while Maren was solid this was kind of a push for them and it wasn't that exciting. So yeah, I wasn't a fan of this one. The setting was cool though.


My rating: 1/5


Fastlove (George Michael cover) by Adele



My thoughts: So, the first time she did this she had to stop early into the first chorus for messing up. But second time she got it on track, even though I felt like she wasn't in the best key to perform. And I didn't feel like the tribute was quite the right kind of nature. But it was a nice tribute, at least. It did pick up later in with the violins. So yeah, I guess it was alright enough.


My rating: 3/5


Moth Into Flame by Metallica featuring Lady Gaga



My thoughts: I have to say, this kind of collaboration makes more sense to me than it should. But did anyone else notice that James Hetfield's mic was turned off during the first verse? At first I thought he was just whispering, but no. Anyway, the guitar was good at least, especially the solo. And Lady Gaga got quite weird, not that that's a bad thing. But with Metallica as old as they are, I can only wonder how well they'll be able to perform as time goes on. But gosh darn if they weren't trying.


My rating: 3/5 (had to dock a point for the beginning where James' mic was off)


All Around You by Sturgill Simpson



My thoughts: I've heard good things about Sturgill Simpson, but this song doesn't feel like what should be performed at an awards show. I guess I just didn't really pay attention. He sounded alright I guess, but again, not awards show material.


My rating: 2/5


Tribute to The Bee Gees (Stayin Alive, Tragedy, How Deep Is Your Love, and Night Fever) by Demi Lovato, Tori Kelly, Andre Day, and Little Big Town



My thoughts: I'll say, if you were to ask me to choose a band who I think would be suited for a tribute to The Bee Gees, Little Big Town would NOT be one of them. That being said, I definitely think Demi Lovato was very expressive vocally during her part of the tribute, and Tori Kelly had a nice range to use for her part. And I love Night Fever, but I wasn't quite on board with Andre Day's take on that. Although it was cool when they all came out right at the end for Stayin Alive once more, also. While I wouldn't say I enjoyed it quite as much as a certain other tribute I'll get to shortly, this was good.


My rating: 4/5


Medley (Award Tour, Movin Backwards, and We The People.....) by A Tribe Called Quest and Anderson .Paak



My thoughts: The first part of this one just didn't pull me in much at all. I don't know if it was Anderson, the lack of much really going on for me to like, but yeah. I also hated how it suddenly got political once again later in. Anyone else getting sick of political tirades? You are too? Good. So yeah, I wasn't a fan here. Sorry.


My rating: 0/5


Tribute to Prince (Jungle Love, The Bird and Let's Go Crazy) by The Time featuring Bruno Mars



My thoughts: It's hard to do justice to Prince, but these guys managed to do it. And then, when he came in, it just exploded for me. He even had Prince's purple jacket, too, and showed that he can perform a killer guitar solo when he needs to. "Let's go crazy", indeed. I really have to say this was my favorite performance of the night.


My rating: 5/5


ABC (Jackson 5 cover) by Pentatonix


My thoughts: Not much to this performance, as it was kind of an interlude before the next part. But it was fun to watch, at least. I like how these guys can express without instrumentals.


My rating: 3/5


How Great + All We Got by Chance The Rapper featuring Kirk Franklin and Tamela Mann



My thoughts: I'm so sick of political stuff in awards shows. Now, it's not that I have anything against religious or political matters, and I won't deny that Chance The Rapper does have talent at the least, but even with that gospel choir, this was just really boring. It did get slightly better come No Problem, however.


My rating: 1/5


God Only Knows (cover) by John Legend and Cynthia Erivo (Tribute to those out in 2016)



My thoughts: While there wasn't much to this one, it was what it was. And after the disaster of a year that was 2016, I think this was a very respectable tribute to those that departed within that year. Again, not really much to it except that it was nice. I'm just not sure why they chose this song for it, though.


My rating: 4/5


And here were the awards that were presented during the show. These are obviously not all of them, but most of the ones worth caring about are listed here. That being said, here they were.


Best New Artist: Chance The Rapper


Best Pop Duo/Group Performance: Stressed Out by Twenty-one Pilots


Best Rock Song: Blackstar by David Bowie


Best Country Solo Performance: My Church by Maren Morris


Best Urban Contemporary Album: Lemonade by Beyonce


Best Rap Album: Coloring Book by Chance The Rapper


Song Of The Year: Hello by Adele


Record Of The Year: Hello by Adele


Album Of The Year: 25 by Adele


I have to say, I'm not surprised at how Adele took song, record and album of the year. 25 was just massive in every way. But it was pretty nice watching her say that Beyonce should have won the very last one and not her. But it's really something. But remember last year when people were mad that 1989 won in the face of To Pimp A Butterfly? Hopefully it won't be that all over again (I mean let's be real here people, I'm not doubting Kendrick but 1989 was much bigger). But I digress.

My Bottom 5 Performances:
1. Medley by A Tribe Called Quest and Anderson .Paak
2. How Great + All We Got by Chance The Rapper featuring Kirk Franklin and Tamela Mann
3. Once by Maren Morris and Alicia Keys
*4. All Around You by Sturgill Simpson
*5. Born Under A Bad Sign by William Bell and Gary Clark Jr.

* These were not necessarily bad, they were just the next lowest ranked for me.

My Top 5 Performances:
1. Tribute to Prince by The Time featuring Bruno Mars
2. I Feel It Coming by The Weeknd featuring Daft Punk
3. That's What I Like by Bruno Mars
4. The Fighter by Keith Urban and Carrie Underwood
5. Shape Of You by Ed Sheeran

Between Fifty Shades Darker and this, we're gonna be in for one crazy Hot 100 this coming week. But yeah, that's all there is for me to say about this. Thanks for reading!

6 comments:

  1. Your recommendation is Body Like A Back Road by Sam Hunt, it's amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What the Hell are you talking about, its fucking awful!

      Delete
    2. You need to learn how to respect others' opinions.

      Delete
    3. First of all, how do you know his recommendation is Body Like A Back Road, since he mentioned it once, and it was involving Spectrum Pulse having a field day on how bad it is? Second, I'm pretty sure he hates it as well. Lastly, who the fuck do you think you are? Why should I respect someone's opinion if they don't provide a clear and simple reason as to why they like, or don't like a song, which you didn't provide. I provided my reason on one of my previous Billboard posts, so why can't you?

      Delete
  2. Scott, can you change the time on your blog, you have it set for Pacific Standard Time, not Eastern, and I know you live in PA, because I do to.

    ReplyDelete