Friday, June 2, 2017

May 27, 2017 - The Chainsmokers + Coldplay (1)


Kid Kelly hosted this week's countdown while Spyder Harrison was out in Italy. As for this week, well, it's basically what you'd expect from Memorial Day weekend, not that much happened overall. I'm definitely pleased with our new #1, trust me, we'll get to it, but aside from that there wasn't too much to address. Although I have been doing this for a year now, so that's cool at least. But let's get on with it. So without further ado, here are the songs leaving us this week.
  • Good Life by Kehlani featuring G-Eazy (#36)
  • Chained To The Rhythm by Katy Perry featuring Skip Marley (#43)
The Countdown!
Last Week’s #1 Song: Castle On The Hill by Ed Sheeran
45. Bad Things by Machine Gun Kelly and Camila Cabello (#42)
44. Don't Wanna Know by Maroon 5 (#37) (three weeks at #1)
43. I Feel It Coming by The Weeknd featuring Daft Punk (#45)
42. Starving by Hailee Steinfeld and Grey featuring Zedd (#41) (four weeks at #1)
41. Still Got Time by Zayn Malik featuring PartyNextDoor (#38)
40. This Town by Niall Horan (#44)
39. Sooner Or Later by Aaron Carter (#40)
38. American Girls by One Ok Rock (#39)
37. All Night by The Vamps featuring Matoma (#22)
36. Kissing Strangers by DNCE (#33)
35. Strip That Down by Liam Payne featuring Quavo (debut)
34. Heavydirtysoul by Twenty-one Pilots (#35)
33. At My Best by Machine Gun Kelly and Hailee Steinfeld (#31)
32. Just Hold On by Steve Aoki featuring Louis Tomlinson (#32)
31. Closer by The Chainsmokers featuring Halsey (#29) (eight weeks at #1)
30. Malibu by Miley Cyrus (debut)
29. I Don't Wanna Live Forever by Zayn Malik and Taylor Swift (#30)
28. Rockabye by Clean Bandit featuring Sean Paul (#25)
27. Lights Down Low by MAX featuring gnash (#28)
26. I'm The One by DJ Khaled with Justin Bieber and Chance The Rapper (#23)
25. Play That Song by Train (#19)
24. Weak by AJR (#18)
23. HandClap by Fitz And The Tantrums (#21)
22. Swalla by Jason Derulo featuring Ty Dolla $ign and Nicki Minaj (#34)
21. Slow Hands by Niall Horan (#15)
20. Cold by Maroon 5 (#27)
19. Paris by The Chainsmokers (#9) (one week at #1)
18. L.A. Devotee by Panic! At The Disco (#12)
17. Mercy by Shawn Mendes (#26)
16. Now Or Never by Halsey (#14)
15. Slide by Calvin Harris featuring Frank Ocean and Migos (#15)
14. Sign Of The Times by Harry Styles (#24)
13. The Cure by Lady Gaga (#13)
12. Say You Won't Let Go by James Arthur (#10)
11. That's What I Like by Bruno Mars (#17)
10. Attention by Charlie Puth (#20)
9. Heavy by Linkin Park featuring Kiiara (#7)
8. Issues by Julia Michaels (#8)
7. Shape Of You by Ed Sheeran (#3) (nine weeks at #1)
6. It Ain't Me by Kygo featuring Selena Gomez (#6)
5. Believer by Imagine Dragons (#5)
4. There's Nothing Holding Me Back by Shawn Mendes (#11)
3. Stay by Zedd featuring Alessia Cara (#2) (two weeks at #1)
2. Castle On The Hill by Ed Sheeran (#1) (two weeks at #1)
#1 Song This Week One Year Ago: New Romantics by Taylor Swift (first of two weeks at #1)
1. Something Just Like This by The Chainsmokers and Coldplay (#4) (first week at #1)


Biggest DRRRRRRROP!!! Of The Week: All Night by The Vamps featuring Matoma (-15)


Biggest Jump Of The Week: Swalla by Jason Derulo featuring Ty Dolla $ign and Nicki Minaj (+12)


New Entrants (will review next week)
- (Strip That Down by Liam Payne featuring Quavo)

- (Malibu by Miley Cyrus)

Blurb That Down For Me
- So for our exits, I could go on about how Chained To The Rhythm departed and I'm basically alright with that, but the bigger news is that with Good Life leaving, we've had our first one week tenure since 2014 where we had two (Turn Down For What by DJ Snake featuring Lil Jon and Welcome To New York by Taylor Swift, three if you count Out Of The Woods). I guess it's not that surprising that it departed quickly, given that Furious 8 hype has gone since, but dang.

- Before introducing I Feel It Coming, Kid Kelly mentioned that Selena Gomez denied rumors of a duet between her and boyfriend The Weeknd. I honestly don't feel like that collab would make all that much sense given how different their styles are. That aside, it's too bad this one's time is coming to its end.

- All Night took a drop down into the bottom 10. I'm alright with that as I was never huge for this song anyway.

- I'm very fascinated that Just Hold On is still here. And while I would like to say the same about I Don't Wanna Live Forever, I know it's still here because, well, Taylor Swift.

- So I guess I'm The One is gonna be like what One Dance was last year?

- Of our debuts from last week, the only one to do anything substantial was Swalla, and I'm perfectly fine with that.

- Ooooooh, Paris took a noticeable drop down to the bottom of the Top 20. For a former #1, this is taking a quick decline.

- After a bit of a slowdown, Sign Of The Times has finally entered the Top 20. The song's momentum has been pretty weird recently, but I'll take what I can get.

- It's no surprise that both Attention and There's Nothing Holding Me Back roared their way into the Top 10, given how much Hits 1 adores both their acts. I wonder how long they'll stay there.

- You know something I kind of found out about Believer? It's by a band named Imagine Dragons, and the bridge features the line "By the grace of the fire and the flames". TTFAF 2 CONFIRMED!!!!!!!1111. ...If you don't know what I'm talking about, you've probably never played or even heard of Guitar Hero, where Through The Fire and Flames by Dragonforce was one of the most iconic songs in that game series. In all seriousness, that is way too perfect to be coincidental.

- And of course, I would be remiss to not mention our very solid new #1. I had a feeling that Something Just Like This would be #1 eventually, given how much Hits 1 has favored The Chainsmokers, and I'm very happy about it what with it being my favorite song on the countdown and all. But the only downside about it is that Spyder Harrison wasn't there to introduce it. Hopefully it doesn't do a Victorious and be a one-weeker that Spyder ends up missing.

- Again, sorry if there weren't that many blurbs, but there really wasn't a whole lot to discuss this week.

The only thing new on Hit-Bound was the re-entry of Versace On The Floor by Bruno Mars, which is being pushed as the next single from the album. While it wouldn't be my first pick per se, I know a lot of critics are liking it, so sure.

Countdown Bottom 5
1. Don't Wanna Know by Maroon 5
2. Starving by Hailee Steinfeld and Grey featuring Zedd
3. Play That Song by Train
4. Bad Things by Machine Gun Kelly and Camila Cabello
5. At My Best by Machine Gun Kelly and Hailee Steinfeld


Countdown Top 5
1. Something Just Like This by The Chainsmokers and Coldplay
2. The Cure by Lady Gaga
3. Believer by Imagine Dragons
4. Castle On The Hill by Ed Sheeran
5. Swalla by Jason Derulo featuring Nicki Minaj and Ty Dolla $ign

Favorite Countdown Song This Week One Year Ago: I Took A Pill In Ibiza by Mike Posner

Songs That Debuted This Week One Year Ago:
Once In A While by Timeflies — Can't deny that this uses the xylophone does this well. Here's a song that sounds quite lively in a year that felt so dreary.
This Is What You Came For by Calvin Harris with Rihanna — I may have liked this at first, and I'm sure there were worse EDM songs released last year, but I can't think of one as overhyped as this one.

QOTD: Fifth Harmony's first non-Camila Cabello single, Down, just dropped today. How do you think it will fare?

Thanks for reading, everybody!

4 comments:

  1. QOTD: I've heard it and I doubt it'll get popular. It just doesn't have anything really interesting about it, and I'd be surprised if this doesn't become a hit-bound drop-out.

    Also, congratulations on a full year of posting content! I hope the charts continue to treat you well.

    Oh, and do you have any opinion on XO TOUR Llif3? I think that's the final current popular song that's probably going to end up on my worst list that you haven't spoken about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! And to say the least, I find XO Tour Llif3 a really frustrating song, because I feel like it had potential to actually be good.

      Delete
    2. With a title like that, I knew it was going to be awful.

      Delete
  2. Tagged you in my next rankdown on Pulse Music Boards since you participated in the rankdown on my blog.

    ReplyDelete