Sunday, June 5, 2016

June 4, 2016 - Justin Timberlake (1)















With things having relaxed a little bit since Memorial Day, it's natural that things would get in regular order. But the summer sizzle is starting, and it definitely shows in our new #1. That doesn't come as any surprise really, and we'll get to that later. Not too much else changed, but there was still a decent mix of stuff going on. With that being said, here are the songs that are leaving us this week.

  • Perfect by One Direction (#37) (spent two weeks at #1)
  • The Story of Tonight by We The Kings (#44)

The Countdown!
Last Week's #1 Song: New Romantics by Taylor Swift
#1 Song This Week One Year Ago: Shut Up and Dance by Walk The Moon
45. Make Me Like You by Gwen Stefani (#42)
44. Work by Rihanna featuring Drake (#43)
43. America's Sweetheart by Elle King (#30)
42. Me, Myself and I by G-Eazy featuring Bebe Rexha (#45)
41. I Know What You Did Last Summer by Shawn Mendes and Camilla Cabello (#40)
40. Hello by Adele (#38)
39. Sorry by Justin Bieber (#33)
38. Roses by The Chainsmokers featuring Roses (#41)
37. Wherever I Go by OneRepublic (debut)
36. Somebody to Love Me by Tryon (#39)
35. Stand By You by Rachel Platten (#35)
34. Messin' Around by Pitbull and Enrique Iglesias (debut)
33. One Call Away by Charlie Puth (#31)
32. Irresistible by Fall Out Boy and Demi Lovato (#32)
31. No by Meghan Trainor (#27)
30. In the Night by The Weeknd (#34)
29. Love Yourself by Justin Bieber (#23)
28. Sit Still, Look Pretty by Daya (#24)
27. Figure Me Out by The Summer Set (#25)
26. You Don't Own Me by Grace (#26)
25. Dangerous Woman by Ariana Grande (#20)
24. Once In a While by Timeflies (#36)
23. Close by Nick Jonas and Tove Lo (#29)
22. If It Ain't Love by Jason Derulo (#22)
21. 7 Years by Lukas Graham (#14)
20. Just Like Fire by P!nk (#18)
19. This Is What You Came For by Calvin Harris featuring Rihanna (#28)
18. Unsteady by X Ambassadors (#21)
17. Don't Let Me Down by The Chainsmokers featuring Daya (#17)
16. Ride by Twenty-one Pilots (#16)
15. Hands to Myself by Selena Gomez (#15)
14. Youth by Troye Sivan (#13)
13. Never Forget You by Zara Larsson and MNEK (#19)
12. Victorious by Panic! At the Disco (#4)
11. I Took a Pill in Ibiza by Mike Posner (#9)
10. Jet Black Heart by 5 Seconds of Summer (#10)
9. My House by Flo Rida (#7)
8. Cake By The Ocean by DNCE (#12)
7. Work From Home by Fifth Harmony (#11)
6. Let It Go by James Bay (#8)
5. Pillowtalk by Zayn Malik (#5)
4. Stressed Out by Twenty-one Pilots (#6)
3. New Romantics by Taylor Swift (#1)
2. History by One Direction (#3)
1. Can't Stop the Feeling! by Justin Timberlake (#2)

Biggest DRRRRRRROP!!! Of The Week: America's Sweetheart by Elle King (-13)

Biggest Jump Of The Week: Once In a While by Timeflies (+12)

New Entrants
- Our first new entry is a new round from OneRepublic, known as Wherever I Go. I heard the song before it made HitBound, and sorry to say that it doesn't work for me. The production doesn't sound very much like what this band has done before, and the vocals aren't that fun for me either. Counting Stars and Love Runs Out were better. Maybe it'll grow on me, but I doubt it.

-Then we have ourselves a new one from one Mr. Worldwide, or Pitbull, whatever you want to call him. He and Enrique Iglesias are Messin' Around. These two are one of a handful of Latin bromances I've read of (thanks Billboard), and they've had more than one work together where Pitbull has been relegated to a guest verse. With that being said, this song interpolates from REO Speedwagon's 1981 classic, Take It On The Run. And I do like it, but not as much as some of the other notable hits he's had this decade, particularly Time of Our Lives with Ne-Yo. It feels a little more low-key and less energetic, but I guess I'm enjoying it for now. I could see myself getting sick of it, though. We'll see.

I Been Blurbin' Around
- Unlike almost every other blogger in this mold, Perfect by One Direction will be missed by me. I won't deny that it stuck around probably longer than necessary, but it's still a pretty song to me.

- Nice to see Me, Myself and I by G-Eazy featuring Bebe Rexha still hanging on. Reckon it won't be long before it leaves, though.

- While I can respect the two songs by The Chainsmokers, they're starting to wear on me. Roses has left me finding the drops repetitive, and Don't Let Me Down isn't that gripping anymore. I liked them both at first but I'm finding them not as special. While I don't care that much right now, I'm sure I will eventually.

- No by Meghan Trainor has officially overstayed its welcome. And it's not because of the message, I think it's because of how dark the song sounds. I remember watching a review not terribly long ago, and the reviewer tried to imagine what those young girls wanting to be like her in 2014 may think of her now. I may be jaded by the music video, but I'm ready for it to go. And given it took a relatively big hit on the Hot 100 recently, I reckon it'll be on its way out sooner than we'd think.

- Speaking of old songs, I said this on Adrian's blog, but everyone has that one song on the countdown that's been there forever and they know full well most others are sick of and yet they still love it. Adrian still isn't tired of My House by Flo Rida. Jack Farrell is still as into most of Taylor Swift's hits as he's been for a while. For me, it is In The Night by The Weeknd. This Michael Jackson inspired track can stay as long as it wants, I don't care.

- Fun fact: Although Sit Still, Look Pretty by Daya became a single in the spring, it existed in September 2015 on her EP with Hide Away, which...is pretty ironic when you think about it. This one is about how she doesn't need anyone, after Hide Away was about how she looks for a good guy. Existing on the same EP is almost redundant. And we had the aforementioned Don't Let Me Down before this track became a single. Can she just make up her mind about needing a guy already?

- Not too bummed to see Dangerous Woman by Ariana Grande drop. I do still like that guitar solo, but I won't be surprised if this turns turquoise or even red eventually. Why not give us the superior Into You instead? Hoping that one makes it eventually.

- I will say I've grown back into 7 Years by Lukas Graham, even if I wonder why they keep that film reel and the crowd chanting in the actual song.

- I would think that Just Like Fire by P!nk would've gained a boost or something because the movie released last week, but I guess not. Not that I care, though - it can drop all it wants.

- For a song that was #1 two weeks ago, Victorious by Panic! At the Disco took a pretty quick drop out of the Top 10.

- As for Work From Home by Fifth Harmony, no surprise that it jumped into the Top 10, given the 7/27 album dropped last week. I wonder how long it'll stick around, though. Hopefully not much longer. Kinda sad that on Billboard's poll predicting the song of the summer, this one won in a landslide. That being said, I'd rather listen to it than certain other songs about work, though (looking at you, Work by Rihanna featuring Drake).

- Not surprised at all by our new #1. Can't Stop the Feeling! by Justin Timberlake is definitely in prime form to own the summer. But once again, I know people are gonna get sick of it. If this thing stays at #1 for a while like Shake It Off, Shut Up and Dance or Hello, I won't be surprised, unless Hits 1 gets One Dance by Drake, which is #1 on the Hot 100 (why haven't they played it yet, by the way?).

Not gonna bother with Hit-Bound this week, I'm already loaded enough as is.

Countdown Top 5:
1. I Took a Pill in Ibiza by Mike Posner
2. Never Forget You by Zara Larsson and MNEK
3. Can't Stop the Feeling! by Justin Timberlake
4. Ride by Twenty-one Pilots
5. Me, Myself and I by G-Eazy featuring Bebe Rexha

So that's that. We'll see if we get more activity on the countdown next week. Thanks for reading!

5 comments:

  1. Nice blog! I've got a few questions for you:
    What is wrong with Just Like Fire and Close?
    Is No in red because you're really sick of it, or did you never like it in the first place?
    Why is Jet Black Heart in blue?

    Please keep in mind that no matter how you answer these questions, I will respect your opinions.

    You can check my blog out at http://sxmhitsoneweekendcountdown.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete