Saturday, June 25, 2016

June 25, 2016 - Mike Posner (1)


So while we didn't get much in the way of new entries, we got some activity that I can say was partially expected. I want to say I called the new #1, but I'm sure others did too. It does look like we're about to get some steam going on here and the activity will start to pick up. With that being said, we have one song leaving us this week, so here it is.
  • Roses by The Chainsmokers featuring ROZES (#41)
The Countdown!
Last Week’s #1 Song: New Romantics by Taylor Swift
45. Work by Rihanna featuring Drake (#43) (Get out already!!!)
44. Make Me Like You by Gwen Stefani (#44)
43. Me, Myself and I by G-Eazy and Bebe Rexha (#45)
42. Lost Boy by Ruth B. (#38)
41. If It Ain't Love by Jason Derulo (#37)
40. Missing You by All Time Low (#36)
39. Never Forget You by Zara Larsson and MNEK (#39) (Jump please? ;_;)
38. No by Meghan Trainor (#42)
37. Wherever I Go by OneRepublic (#28)
36. Hands to Myself by Selena Gomez (#21) (hahaha)
35. Youth by Troye Sivan (#35)
34. My House by Flo Rida (#29)
33. Irresistible by Fall Out Boy and Demi Lovato (#30)
32. Treat You Better by Shawn Mendes (debut)
31. Cake By The Ocean by DNCE (#18) (yay!)
30. Love Yourself by Justin Bieber (#32)
29. Jet Black Heart by 5 Seconds of Summer (#24)
28. Messin' Around by Pitbull and Enrique Iglesias (#17)
27. We Don't Talk Anymore by Charlie Puth and Selena Gomez (#40)
26. Once In a While by Timeflies (#27)
25. Pillowtalk by Zayn Malik (#26)
24. Wild Things by Alessia Cara (#34)
23. Victorious by Panic! At The Disco (#12)
22. Me Too by Meghan Trainor (#25)
21. 7 Years by Lukas Graham (#22)
20. Kill 'Em With Kindness by Selena Gomez (#31)
19. Toothbrush by DNCE (#33)
18. This Is What You Came For by Calvin Harris and Rihanna (#19)
17. Figure Me Out by The Summer Set (#20)
16. You Don't Own Me by Grace (#13)
15. Stressed Out by Twenty-one Pilots (#4)
14. Sit Still, Look Pretty by Daya (#23)
13. Unsteady by X Ambassadors (#16)
12. Work From Home by Fifth Harmony (#5)
11. Close by Nick Jonas and Tove Lo (#9)
10. Dangerous Woman by Ariana Grande (#11)
9. Cheap Thrills by Sia featuring Sean Paul (#13)
8. History by One Direction (#7)
7. Ride by Twenty-one Pilots (#14)
6. Don't Let Me Down by The Chainsmokers featuring Daya (#10)
5. Let It Go by James Bay (#6)
4. New Romantics by Taylor Swift (#1)
3. Just Like Fire by P!nk (#8)
2. Can't Stop the Feeling! by Justin Timberlake (#2)
1. I Took a Pill In Ibiza by Mike Posner (#3) (Woohoo!)

Biggest DRRRRRRROP!!! Of The Week: Hands to Myself by Selena Gomez (-15)

Biggest Jump Of The Week: Toothbrush by DNCE (+14)

New Entrants
- This week, we have but one new entrant - Treat You Better by Shawn Mendes. Its predecessor, Stitches, hit #1 on the countdown back in the fall and blew up, so we'll see if this one manages to follow suit. I don't have too much to say about it, except that I like the instrumentation. I'll probably get sick of it eventually, but for now I like it.

I Know I Can Blurb You Better
- So we lost Roses by The Chainsmokers featuring ROZES this week, which had gotten old to me but thankfully left before I could hate it.

- As you can see, there are quite a few songs here I've grown into in notable portions, like We Don't Talk Anymore, Don't Let Me Down and Love Yourself.

- So that's two weeks in a row that Hands to Myself by Selena Gomez had the biggest DRRRRRRROP!!! of the week. I think the Wutchuwant crew figured out that she needs to start keeping her hands to herself already, even though she doesn't want to.

- And the song that was tied with it last week, Cake By The Ocean by DNCE, also took a big drop. Looks like it's on its way out, and that's good.

- I laugh at how Spyder Harrison puts emphasis on how he says Enrique Iglesias' name. That being said, Messin' Around did take a noticeable drop this week.

- Of our five debuts from last week, two of them took small drops, and three of them took nice jumps up that I'm totally cool with.

- Me Too by Meghan Trainor is for me, as Adrian once put it, the "Insta-Station Change" in that it will make me change the station as fast as I can as soon as it comes on. Don't be that guy (well, gal) and peak any higher, okay? But now that I've said that, watch it take a huge jump next week.

- Speaking of Selena Gomez, Kill 'Em With Kindness is already getting worse every time I hear it. The beat is annoying, the whistling doesn't help, and the lyrics are lazily written. It's repetition at its core. It'll probably be red very soon.

- During the Weekend Rewind, I heard from Nicole that Taylor Swift dumped Calvin Harris over the phone. I do not buy that for one second! Wasn't he the one who dumped her? Anyway, This Is What You Came For is still something I can like, but I can't deny that I'm seeing where the disdain comes from for it. Don't be surprised if it starts to change color.

- Before introducing Dangerous Woman, Spyder Harrison commented that it was the birthday weekend of Ariana Grande. I remember her Nickelodeon days, and she shares the same birthday as her fellow former Dan Schneider star, Jennette McCurdy. It's too bad that the two of them ended up fighting late into the run of Sam and Cat, but did they ever reconcile? I think they did... Or at least I hope. Ah, that aside, I'm still not as big on the song as many of these bloggers are. Hits 1 needs to get Into You in here and they need to do it soon.

- Both Cheap Thrills by Sia featuring Sean Paul and Ride by Twenty-one Pilots making the Top 10 is very satisfying, especially seeing as they knocked Work From Home by Fifth Harmony out of the Top 10.

- Then we have Just Like Fire by P!nk jumping into the Top 3. The song has been growing on me, but I don't love it as much as most other bloggers do. While I would rather see Don't Let Me Down or Ride in its spot, we'll see if it becomes green eventually.

- So Can't Stop the Feeling! by Justin Timberlake once again failed to reclaim #1. Although it was by a song I'm glad hit #1 and I'll get to that in a moment, I will say, I wonder how many times while driving I’m gonna hear a random act introduce themselves and say “This is your most wutchuwanted song." then the DJ with "Tell us yours! Join the wutchuwant crew at siriusxm.com/hits1!” followed by the opening piano and cymbals then “I got this feeling, inside my bones”. Not that I'm complaining right about now, though!

- And last, but certainly not least, we get to our new #1 - I Took a Pill In Ibiza by Mike Posner. I voted for this one a fair bit in the past week. It's still one of my favorite hit songs we've had this year so far, and I'm very happy to see it at #1. This is the second week this month where I put the #1 in purple. I don't know if it'll last long there given the monster force to be reckoned with that is Can't Stop the Feeling, but even if it leaves the #1 spot next week I'm glad it made it.

On the note of Hit-Bound, I'm not gonna give a full review, because not much changed. The only new entrant there was Mama Said by Lukas Graham. I liked 7 Years, but this successor... I'm not really sure what I listened to there, but those children in the background felt kinda annoying. We'll see how well it holds, but if it makes the countdown, I can see it wearing on me quickly. Nothing else to say, my favorite and least favorite since (The Sound by The 1975 and Hello Friday by Flo Rida featuring Jason Derulo respectively) haven't changed. I am hoping for Send My Love (To Your New Lover) by Adele to make the countdown, though.

Countdown Bottom 5
1. Me Too by Meghan Trainor
2. Work by Rihanna featuring Drake
3. No by Meghan Trainor
4. Cake By The Ocean by DNCE
5. Hands to Myself by Selena Gomez

Countdown Top 5
1. I Took a Pill In Ibiza by Mike Posner
2. Can't Stop the Feeling! by Justin Timberlake
3. Cheap Thrills by Sia featuring Sean Paul
4. Ride by Twenty-one Pilots
5. Never Forget You by Zara Larsson and MNEK

So, that was the countdown. All in all, I'd say this week was pretty good overall. It does give me a good feeling about what's to come.

Also, as a bonus, since I'm new to this countdown thing and some have liked how I've done things, I'm gonna do something else. Someone in the comments of one of Adrian's newest countdown updates had covered the countdown a year from that day and a year and a half from that day. Just for fun, I'll be covering it from a year ago. 2015 has definitely been my favorite year for music of this decade so far, which should make it even more fun. Not gonna list previous numbers or anything, just the countdown as it was then. However, this may get boring for some of you after a while, as these songs have all left the countdown obviously and I'm not gonna listen to all of them right then and there, so my opinions probably won't change if I keep doing this (except the dark green no real opinion songs if I listen to them in between updates). I don't know if I'll do this regularly, but it's fun to look back on previous years and see how much things have changed.

Also, instead of the standard color code judging on if a song was bad to me because it got old or something, I'll have it this way: red = garbage, orange = least favorite song, turquoise = bad, yellow = meh, pink = decent, blue = good, green = great, purple = favorite song, dark green = no real opinion/never heard/don't remember it. Here we go!

Dropouts:
Night Changes by One Direction
Earned It by The Weeknd

45. Chains by Nick Jonas
44. When The Beat Drops Out by Marlon Roudette
43. Wrapped Up by Olly Murs/Travie McCoy
42. Dear Future Husband by Meghan Trainor
41. No Way No by MAGIC!
40. Budapest by George Ezra
39. Blank Space by Taylor Swift
38. Can't Feel My Face by The Weeknd
37. Centuries by Fall Out Boy
36. Love Me Like You Do by Ellie Goulding
35. Lay Me Down by Sam Smith with John Legend
34. You Know You Like It by DJ Snake with AlunaGeorge
33. Ghost by Ella Henderson
32. Uptown Funk by Mark Ronson and Bruno Mars
31. Marvin Gaye by Charlie Puth and Meghan Trainor
30. Lean On by Major Lazer with DJ Snake and MØ
29. Sugar by Maroon 5
28. Fun by Pitbull and Chris Brown
27. Thinking Out Loud by Ed Sheeran
26. The Night Is Still Young by Nicki Minaj
25. Fire N Gold by Bea Miller
24. Hold My Hand by Jess Glynne
23. Jealous by Nick Jonas
22. Worth It by Fifth Harmony
21. Tear In My Heart by Twenty-one Pilots
20. Cheerleader by OMI
19. Fight Song by Rachel Platten
18. Whistle (While You Work It) by Katy Tiz
17. Something's Gotta Give by All Time Low
16. Where Do Broken Hearts Go by One Direction
15. Photograph by Ed Sheeran
14. I Need Your Love by Shaggy, Mohombi, Faydee and Costi
13. Bright by Echosmith
12. I Really Like You by Carly Rae Jepsen
11. Take Your Time by Sam Hunt
10. This Summer's Gonna Hurt... by Maroon 5
9. Hey Mama by David Guetta with Nicki Minaj, Bebe Rexha and Afrojack
8. Style by Taylor Swift
7. Uma Thurman by Fall Out Boy
6. Want To Want Me by Jason Derulo
5. Talking Body by Tove Lo
4. Honey I'm Good by Andy Grammer
3. See You Again by Wiz Khalifa and Charlie Puth
2. Bad Blood by Taylor Swift
1. Shut Up and Dance by Walk The Moon

Around this point was when See You Again had been blowing up, but it was losing its steam and about to be dethroned by Cheerleader on the Hot 100. And it's good that I Need Your Love and I Really Like You were having success here when they weren't on the charts.

Also, to make it a little more interesting, I'm not allowed to mention Uptown Funk in my Top 5. I mean, I still absolutely love the song, no matter how annoying others may find it, but to say the least, I feel like it's too easy a choice for my top list, so including it would feel unfair to other songs. I also want to try to mention at least a few songs that were snubbed and failed to become real hits on the Hot 100, as there's something else I want to do on that note. But I won't say what it is just yet.

Top 5:
1. You Know You Like It by DJ Snake with AlunaGeorge
2. Style by Taylor Swift
3. Can't Feel My Face by The Weeknd
4. Chains by Nick Jonas
5. Hold My Hand by Jess Glynne

Bottom 5:
1. Marvin Gaye by Charlie Puth and Meghan Trainor
2. This Summer's Gonna Hurt... by Maroon 5
3. Dear Future Husband by Meghan Trainor
4. Whistle (While You Work It) by Katy Tiz
5. Jealous by Nick Jonas

So, with all of that, thanks for reading!

14 comments:

  1. What's so bad about Whistle?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whistle was like legitimately awesome in my opinion.

      Delete
    2. I found it annoying, and I remember hearing it multiple times in some commercial last year (don't remember which one), which didn't help.

      Delete
    3. I remember that commercial. I still see it on TV.

      Delete
  2. I'm so glad I'm not the only one here, who still loves Uptown Funk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still like Uptown Funk too.

      Delete
    2. Yep, I do understand that people get tired of songs because of overplay *cough Hello and Blank Space cough*, but to say the least, I do still love it. It isn't #12 on Billboard's Greatest of All Time for nothing!

      Delete
    3. Your right. I can't believe that Uptown Funk is #12 on the greatest hot 100 songs of all time. And that Smooth is still #2.

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those kinds of comments are not appropriate here, thank you.

      Delete
  4. Wow! You got sick of KEWK quickly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, at first I thought it was only okay, but between the whistling and the repetition in the drop and lyrics...it's not a fun listen. At least Hands to Myself I humored on my first few listens, which is more than can be said for this.

      Delete
  5. What's your opinion on, wait, what, WHY AM I TYPING THIS?!?!?!?!?!

    ReplyDelete