Saturday, July 2, 2016

July 2, 2016 - Justin Timberlake (3)


So, as figured, they did a 4th of July special edition of the countdown... But there wasn't exactly anything particularly "special" about it. I woke up at 6 AM and had the #1 song spoiled, then the countdown just started up again, which made me think we would be getting some bonus summer hits like we did for Memorial Day, but that was not the case. Oh well. Anyway, it would be great to have another big exit week like we did two weeks ago, although other than a few things in the first half this was actually pretty good. With that being said, here are the songs leaving us this week.

  • Love Yourself by Justin Bieber (#30) (dang!)

The Countdown!
Last Week’s #1 Song: I Took a Pill In Ibiza by Mike Posner
#1 Song This Week 1 Year Ago: See You Again by Wiz Khalifa and Charlie Puth
45. Me, Myself and I by G-Eazy and Bebe Rexha (#43)
44. Make Me Like You by Gwen Stefani (#44)
43. If It Ain't Love by Jason Derulo (#41)
42. 7 Years by Lukas Graham (#21) (ouch!)
41. Work by Rihanna featuring Drake (#45) (Are you kidding me?!?!)
40. No by Meghan Trainor (#38)
39. Don't Mind by Kent Jones (debut)
38. Jet Black Heart by 5 Seconds of Summer (#29)
37. Never Forget You by Zara Larsson and MNEK (#39)
36. Victorious by Panic! At The Disco (#23) (one week at #1)
35. Hands to Myself by Selena Gomez (#36)
34. Irresistible by Fall Out Boy and Demi Lovato (#33)
33. My House by Flo Rida (#34) (one week at #1)
32. Pillowtalk by Zayn Malik (#25)
31. Cake By The Ocean by DNCE (#31) (four weeks at #1)
30. Messin' Around by Pitbull and Enrique Iglesias (#28)
29. Youth by Troye Sivan (#35)
28. Missing You by All Time Low (#40)
27. Kill 'Em With Kindness by Selena Gomez (#20)
26. Lost Boy by Ruth B (#42)
25. Once In A While by Timeflies (#26)
24. Wherever I Go by OneRepublic (#37)
23. Work From Home by Fifth Harmony (#12) (about fricken time...)
22. Treat You Better by Shawn Mendes (#32)
21. Me Too by Meghan Trainor (#22)
20. Toothbrush by DNCE (#19)
19. We Don't Talk Anymore by Charlie Puth and Selena Gomez (#27)
18. Wild Things by Alessia Cara (#24)
17. Figure Me Out by The Summer Set (#17)
16. You Don't Own Me by Grace (#16)
15. Stressed Out by twenty-one pilots (#15) (five weeks at #1)
14. Close by Nick Jonas and Tove Lo (#11)
13. This Is What You Came For by Calvin Harris with Rihanna (#18)
12. Unsteady by X Ambassadors (#13)
11. Sit Still, Look Pretty by Daya (#14)
10. Dangerous Woman by Ariana Grande (#10)
9. New Romantics by Taylor Swift (#4)
8. History by One Direction (#8)
7. Ride by twenty-one pilots (#7)
6. Cheap Thrills by Sia featuring Sean Paul (#9)
5. Let It Go by James Bay (#5)
4. I Took a Pill In Ibiza by Mike Posner (#1) (one week at #1)
3. Just Like Fire by P!nk (#3)
2. Don't Let Me Down by The Chainsmokers featuring Daya (#6)
1. Can't Stop the Feeling! by Justin Timberlake (3rd week at #1)

Biggest DRRRRRRROP!!! Of The Week: 7 Years by Lukas Graham (-21)

Biggest Jump Of The Week: Lost Boy by Ruth B (+16)

New Entrants
- Ugh... Once again we have but one new entrant, form of Don't Mind by Kent Jones. Before Spyder Harrison introduced the song, he said that Kent Jones was a Florida native... That explains why this guy sounds like a Pitbull ripoff, doesn't it? It's a dumb song that has weird synth and Spanish. Not much to say beyond that. Hopefully it leaves soon.

No Matter Where I Blurb, You Know I Love 'Em All
- Dang. I grew back into Love Yourself by Justin Bieber last week, and of course it leaves this week, from #30 no less. To think this might be the #1 song on Billboard's Year-End Hot 100... Guess that's the last we're hearing of Justin Bieber, unless it makes a re-entry.

- That biggest DRRRRRRROP!!! always comes out of nowhere, huh? 7 Years by Lukas Graham has been around for a while now, but after it's been dominant for a while, it's pretty much the time for it to recede.

- My goodness, every single week I keep thinking that Work by Rihanna featuring Drake will leave...and yet not only is it still here, but it took a small jump this week. This song is testing my patience at this point.

- Once again, we have another round of songs that have grown on me to certain extents, some of which I've felt like I haven't given as much of a chance as I should. Two in particular stand out on that note: Wherever I Go by OneRepublic, which isn't on Insta-Station Change for the time being but still isn't great per se, and more importantly, Just Like Fire by P!nk, which is now in green. It could change color if it gets too overplayed, but for now I am definitely liking it a lot more.

- Thank you Hits 1, for not throwing Never Forget You by Zara Larsson and MNEK out the window just yet.

- Messin' Around by Pitbull and Enrique Iglesias is starting to appear a little less interesting to me, as I felt would happen eventually. I can still listen to it right now but it's not quite as fun as some of Pitbull's bigger and more fast-paced hits.

- Happy birthday, Ruth B! I still find Lost Boy to be a cute little song, a little too cute perhaps. Guess Hits 1 wanted to give her a nice birthday present with the biggest jump of the week. Also, Spyder Harrison made a mistake in saying that Wherever I Go by OneRepublic was the biggest jump of the week with 13, but that would not be true. He even said that Lost Boy was up 16 when he introduced it. Silly Spyder.

- About time that Work From Home by Fifth Harmony dropped out of the Top 20. Hopefully this thing can start receding elsewhere, too.

- Me Too by Meghan Trainor is still pure asinine trash. It'd be great if it doesn't enter the Top 20.

- Since Wild Things by Alessia Cara debuted two weeks ago, Spyder Harrison has not been the one to introduce that song once. Come on, bro, you not finding her where the wild things are? That said, nice to see this one jump into the Top 20.

- Some people have asked me why I don't like Close by Nick Jonas and Tove Lo. To put it short, the song feels weak and I don't really buy Nick's claims of it being about vulnerability in relationships. And of course, that one line comes off as "Don't ask for space, just get close to me, darn it!" It's not appealing at all. But that's just me.

- Hits 1 definitely adores Daya, as they're having her host Hit-Bound this week. More on that in a bit, but Sit Still, Look Pretty has been getting worse with every listen, so it'd be nice if it could start dropping soon. Don't Let Me Down, on the other hand, while not overly intriguing, I've found myself liking more and more and I have no problem with jumping up to #2. Potential #1 maybe?!

- Before Spyder Harrison introduced our former #1 I Took a Pill In Ibiza by Mike Posner, the lame acoustic original was playing, but thankfully that one wasn't what he played. I would have been pretty pissed if they had gave us that one instead of the awesome Seeb remix.

- Our Top 10 is looking pretty solid right about now, aside from one old song and two that still have some decency in them I'm quite happy with how things are going. And of course our returning #1, Can't Stop the Feeling! by Justin Timberlake, which gets no complaints from me whatsoever.

Quick Hit-Bound summary: Daya hosted, and aside from Don't Mind making the countdown, the only new addition is One Dance by Drake. Hits 1 is a little late on the party in getting it here, but whatever. That aside, nothing else to really talk about. Hello Friday by Flo Rida featuring Jason Derulo remains my least favorite song on Hit-Bound, but my new favorite here goes to Send My Love (To Your New Lover) by Adele. Also, Say by Symon is losing some appeal to me - I'm starting to get tired of hearing that looping drop along with "Do what Symon say" over and over, and that rap breakdown in the bridge isn't helping.

The Highest Insta-Station Changes
1. Me Too by Meghan Trainor
2. Work by Rihanna featuring Drake
3. Kill 'Em With Kindness by Selena Gomez
4. No by Meghan Trainor
5. Cake By The Ocean by DNCE

Countdown Top 5

1. Can't Stop the Feeling! by Justin Timberlake
2. Wild Things by Alessia Cara
3. I Took a Pill In Ibiza by Mike Posner
4. Ride by twenty-one pilots
5. Cheap Thrills by Sia featuring Sean Paul

Top 20 Breakdown:
0 - Garbage:
None!

1 - Bad:
20. Close by Nick Jonas and Tove Lo

2 - Meh:
19. Sit Still, Look Pretty by Daya
18. New Romantics by Taylor Swift
17. Stressed Out by twenty-one pilots

3 - Decent:
16. Dangerous Woman by Ariana Grande
15. History by One Direction
14. This Is What You Came For by Calvin Harris and Rihanna
13. Unsteady by X Ambassadors

4 - Good:
12. Figure Me Out by The Summer Set
11. Toothbrush by DNCE

5 - Great:
10. We Don't Talk Anymore by Charlie Puth and Selena Gomez
9. Just Like Fire by P!nk
8. Let It Go by James Bay
7. You Don't Own Me by Grace
6. Don't Let Me Down by The Chainsmokers featuring Daya
5. Cheap Thrills by Sia featuring Sean Paul
4. Ride by twenty-one pilots
3. I Took a Pill In Ibiza by Mike Posner
2. Wild Things by Alessia Cara
1. Can't Stop the Feeling! by Justin Timberlake

Overall score: 77/100 - Solid

Happy 4th of July, everybody! Also, last week I did the countdown from this week one year ago. I'm not going to do that again right now, but I will mention that the debuts (that weren't on the previous week's countdown) were I Don't Like It, I Love It by Flo Rida featuring Robin Thicke and Verdine White (#37), Good For You by Selena Gomez (#25), and Dumb by The Heydaze (#24).

And on that note, I know we're very close to 1,000 views at the time of this post. Some time after it hits 1,000, I think I'll do a little milestone for that. Hint: It's something I mentioned while replying in Adrian's 700k views update. Some of you may not find it that exciting, but it's still something I want to do. So, thanks for reading, everybody!

13 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, I take that back. I forgot you said it overstayed its welcome about a month ago.

      Delete
    2. @Miles: I saw in my e-mail that No was the song you were mentioning - yeah, I didn't mind it at first but it got old before I started doing this.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete