Saturday, July 16, 2016

July 16, 2016 - Justin Timberlake (5)


Well this wasn't quite the boom that we've eagerly awaited, but it's always nice to see a shake-up. This week does make some big history, and we'll get to that in a bit, but things are definitely looking more interesting now. We had some good activity going on, so it does leave me with some hope that things won't be so stagnant. But it's the summer, and sometimes these things shake up but others they're inert. You never know. With that being said, here are the songs leaving us this week.

  • Irresistible by Fall Out Boy featuring Demi Lovato (#34) (!!!!!!!!!!)
  • Jet Black Heart by 5 Seconds of Summer (#44)
  • Never Forget You by Zara Larsson and MNEK (#43) (Nooooooo! :()
  • Messin' Around by Pitbull and Enrique Iglesias (#35)
Also, before I get to the countdown, two other things I'd like to mention:
1. I may as well mention that I've added a new color: Dark Red = Song is old but I don't mind and still like it. Kinda like what a few of the other bloggers have, as there are certain songs I'd be lying if I said they weren't old, but I still find them enjoyable even at that.
2. In case you missed it, I posted my 1,000 Pageview Special on Thursday evening, in the form of a full ranking of 2015's Year-End Hot 100. Here it is if you want to check it out. Anyway, enough about that. Let's go!

The Countdown!
Last Week’s #1 Song: Can't Stop the Feeling! by Justin Timberlake
45. Me, Myself and I by G-Eazy and Bebe Rexha (#39) (Unbelievable...)
44. Unsteady by X Ambassadors (#24)
43. Work by Rihanna featuring Drake (#45)
42. 7 Years by Lukas Graham (#42)
41. If It Ain't Love by Jason Derulo (#41)
40. Lost Boy by Ruth B. (#28)
39. Hands to Myself by Selena Gomez (#37)
38. The Sound by The 1975 (debut)
37. My House by Flo Rida (#31) (one week at #1)
36. No by Meghan Trainor (#38)
35. Work From Home by Fifth Harmony (#33)
34. Pillowtalk by Zayn Malik (#34)
33. One Dance by Drake featuring WizKid and Kyla (debut)
32. Wild Things by Alessia Cara (#19) (Yikes!)
31. Mama Said by Lukas Graham (debut)
30. Youth by Troye Sivan (#29)
29. Say by Symon (debut)
28. Cake By The Ocean by DNCE (#31) (four weeks at #1)
27. You Don't Own Me by Grace (#21)
26. Missing You by All Time Low (#26)
25. Kill 'Em With Kindness by Selena Gomez (#27)
24. Let It Go by James Bay (#11)
23. Don't Mind by Kent Jones (#24)
22. Send My Love (To Your New Lover) by Adele (#40)
21. Me Too by Meghan Trainor (#17)
20. History by One Direction (#8)
19. Treat You Better by Shawn Mendes (#23)
18. Figure Me Out by The Summer Set (#18)
17. We Don't Talk Anymore by Charlie Puth and Selena Gomez (#22)
16. Toothbrush by DNCE (#20)
15. Once In a While by Timeflies (#15)
14. Victorious by Panic! At The Disco (#30) (one week at #1)
13. Sit Still, Look Pretty by Daya (#9)
12. Stressed Out by Twenty-one Pilots (#14) (five weeks at #1)
11. New Romantics by Taylor Swift (#10) (two weeks at #1)
10. Wherever I Go by OneRepublic (#16)
9. Close by Nick Jonas and Tove Lo (#13)
8. This Is What You Came For by Calvin Harris with Rihanna (#12)
7. Dangerous Woman by Ariana Grande (#6)
6. Don't Let Me Down by The Chainsmokers featuring Daya (#3)
5. Ride by Twenty-one Pilots (#4)
4. I Took a Pill In Ibiza by Mike Posner (#7)
3. Just Like Fire by P!nk (#2)
2. Cheap Thrills by Sia featuring Sean Paul (#5)
#1 Song This Week One Year Ago: Shut Up and Dance by Walk the Moon
1. Can't Stop the Feeling! by Justin Timberlake (#1) (5th week at #1)

Biggest DRRRRRRROP!!! Of The Week: Unsteady by X Ambassadors (-20) (second week in a row...)

Biggest Jump Of The Week: Send My Love (To Your New Lover) by Adele (+18)

New Entrants
The 1975 have had a few songs that have been featured on the countdown, like Chocolate from 2013, and they're back with a new one, The Sound. It's been on Hit-Bound for over two months now, but I don't mind its late arrival. This song has been getting a lot of acclaim from music critics, and I've seen some call it one of the best songs of the year so far, and I don't blame them, because between the production and some neat guitar work, this song is beautiful. I hope it does good on the countdown.

- So unless you've been under a rock for the past two months, you would know that One Dance by Drake featuring WizKid and Kyla has been dominating the Billboard Hot 100 for a while now, as it's currently at its 9th week at #1. I guess I can see the appeal, but with all the overexposure that Drake has had since 2015 with not only his two surprise albums last year in If You're Reading This It's Too Late and What A Time To Be Alive with Future, but Views as well as the Meek Mill beef and several other hits, I'm sure I speak for many when I say that I've gotten sick of Drake in general. That's why it's already in yellow. I'm sure many have wondered if he actually cares about his work that much, and it doesn't help that he still hasn't released a video for the song and it can't be put on YouTube at all. Some people are predicting that it might actually be the #1 song on the 2016 Year-End Hot 100, but it's going to face competition from Justin Bieber's two big hits, and doesn’t look like it’s much longer for #1, given both Katy Perry and Britney Spears have returned with new songs. We'll get to Katy Perry later, but ranting about that aside, I do feel as if the song is a little over-hated, but it is repetitive even by pop music's low standards. It probably won't be long before it turns red. However, given how quickly Hotline Bling got the boot from the countdown, this may not be with us too long. We'll see.

- Next up we have yet another song from supposed US one-hit wonders with Mama Said by Lukas Graham. After the success of 7 Years, we have Mama Said, which has apparently been successful in Denmark where this band originated. Unlike its "predecessor", at least the song is upbeat...but what the heck is with those children chanting throughout?

- Much like The Sound, Say by Symon had been stuck on Hit-Bound for a while. While I liked the song at first, I have realized that hearing that chorus with the looping drop and "Do what Symon say" over and over isn't that exciting. Not to mention that rap breakdown on the bridge is kinda grating. It hasn't hit Insta-Station Change yet, but it's definitely late to the party.

Higher Powers Blurbing A Hold On Me
- Oh my goodness... This week makes history as it is the first week since (if memory serves) February 2013, when Fall Out Boy made their return with My Songs Know What You Did In The Dark (Light 'Em Up), where they don't have a single song on the countdown. The band as a whole has had a tenure of over three years here and now...it's cut short. I don't even know what to say, except that I know there are probably a lot of people throwing Fall Out Boy be-gone parties. Other than that, Never Forget You by Zara Larsson and MNEK got a sadly undeserved boot, but that was only a matter of time after those two big drops in a row. I'm not surprised that Messin' Around got the boot, and Jet Black Heart had been here a while.

- This is the second week in a row that Unsteady by X Ambassadors had the biggest DRRRRRRROP!!! of the week. Looks like these guys may be doomed to be one-hit wonders after all. :(

- I'm not even going to comment on the fact that Work by Rihanna featuring Drake is still here. Oh wait, I just did. But this is the third week in a row that the two songs in front of it have held at their positions.

- Uh-oh! Wild Things by Alessia Cara took a drop down to #32. Shame, as the song has underperformed and I think it deserved better than this after the success of its predecessor. Also, Spyder Harrison still has not introduced the song once.

- Looks like Let It Go by James Bay is finally starting to fall down. It had a good run, and I do like indie hits like that because we don't get much of that anymore.

- Remember how when Don't Mind by Kent Jones debuted, I called it a Pitbull ripoff because Spanish? Well, that sounds kinda funny when I discovered that a remix with Pitbull and Lil Wayne recently dropped. And didn't Pitbull throw a diss track at Lil Wayne back in 2013? That makes their duo presence ironic. Wow.

- That Biggest Jump of the Week should come as a surprise to nobody, because, well, Adele. There's no way it'll be as big as Hello was, but it's still going to get steam.

- Yay for Me Too by Meghan Trainor dropping out of the Top 20. Now if we can get it to drop further (read: leave the countdown), that'd be great.

- So, I went to see The Secret Life of Pets yesterday (cute movie by the way, would definitely recommend), and History by One Direction had come on just as I was arriving at the theater. Then, as I got back into my car after coming back from the movie, it was on again, but this time at the last chorus. It had been a little less than three hours, though. So I didn't think the song would drop to the tail-end of the Top 20 like that, but I have been hearing it less and less so it may not be much longer.

- In the meantime, Victorious by Panic! At The Disco took an out of nowhere jump back into the Top 15. I do like the rock elements of the song still, but it is odd.

- Okay, fine, Close by Nick Jonas and Tove Lo did do a Wherever I Go and grow on me a little bit. It'll probably be red again before too long, but I guess right now it's not the end of the world having to hear it.

- Once more, Spyder Harrison made a mistake when he said that Ride by Twenty-one Pilots went up one to #5...it went down. Silly Spyder. :P Would've liked for it to go up, though, that would've been nice. Maybe even hit #1 perhaps? I'm also amazed at how much staying power Stressed Out has had after Cake By The Ocean, My House and Work have all been dropping.

- Speaking of Wherever I Go, I'm honestly starting to see the appeal of it. I don't find it outright stellar, and it's not as good as any of the three main singles from Native, but I'm okay with it sticking around for now.

- And on that note, I'm very happy with our Top 5, which is kinda ironic seeing as most of the rest of this countdown didn't feel all that great per se (again, at least the first half of it). I don't mind Can't Stop the Feeling! by Justin Timberlake still at #1, in fact it may get interesting if it starts to really get with the big songs from recent years. But I would like to see Cheap Thrills by Sia featuring Sean Paul hit #1 as well, that's still fun.

Hit-Bound

  • I Wanna Know by Alesso with Nico and Vinz
  • Body Say by Demi Lovato (debut)
  • Spirits by The Strumbellas
  • No Broken Hearts by Bebe Rexha featuring Nicki Minaj
  • Hello Friday by Flo Rida featuring Jason Derulo
  • Girls Talk Boys by 5 Seconds of Summer (debut)
  • All About Us by Jordan Fisher
  • Wild by Troye Sivan and Alessia Cara (debut)
  • Hymn for The Weekend (Seeb Remix) by Coldplay (debut)
  • I'm Not Famous by AJR
  • Brand New by Ben Rector
  • Red Dress by MAGIC!
  • Lovesick by Jacob Whitesides
  • Rise by Katy Perry (debut)
So obviously after losing a bunch of songs from the countdown, it figures we'd get a lot of debuts here, so I'm giving it a full rundown this time.

- We have Demi Lovato back with another "sexy" song, and Body Say comes short in the face of Cool For The Summer, but it's good for now.

- With No Broken Hearts having been here so long, I've noticed that the song being slathered in autotune is kind of a turnoff. We'll see if it gets bad.

- So the new Ghostbusters movie released yesterday, and I've heard better about it than I'm sure most were prepared for. I almost saw that movie instead of the aforementioned one, but the place I went only had a 9:40 showing and I couldn't wait that long. I have seen the soundtrack, though, and here we have 5 Seconds of Summer with a new track on that front, Girls Talk Boys. This may be their best song yet. Fun fact, one of the writers on this track consisted of John Ryan, who not only was on Fireball by Pitbull from 2014, but has worked on several of One Direction's notable songs. I was very close to putting it in purple, but we'll get to the new debut that I gave that to in a bit.

- Then we have another debut, Wild by Troye Sivan and Alessia Cara. I guess it lives up to its name, with those scattered drum rolls and the background chanting. It might wear on me, though.

- Then we also have Coldplay yet again, with Hymn For The Weekend. Compared to their previous success, Adventure of a Lifetime from earlier this year, I wasn't the biggest fan of the original version of this song, but I do like the Seeb remix as it makes it sound cooler, but I can see why people may not like it. And some people have said Beyonce isn't in this one (she had uncredited vocals on the original), but that's not quite true - you can hear her in the second verse and at the very end. But it's my new favorite song on Hit-Bound.

- Finally, yesterday we got the long-awaited return of the pop juggernaut that is Katy Perry, in the form of Rise. This song is going to be used for the 2016 Rio Olympics, and... Right now I can't say I'm a fan. I've seen so many songs trying to be inspirational, but after both Firework and Roar, this is not what Katy Perry is best with as opposed to her tastelessness. Although I guess I'm gonna have to get used to it, at the very least, hopefully it'll end One Dance's reign on the Hot 100...

Why Couldn't You Guys Have Left Instead?
1. Me Too by Meghan Trainor
2. Work by Rihanna featuring Drake
3. No by Meghan Trainor
4. Cake By The Ocean by DNCE
5. Kill 'Em With Kindness by Selena Gomez

Countdown Top 5
1. Ride by Twenty-one Pilots
2. Cheap Thrills by Sia featuring Sean Paul
3. The Sound by 1975
4. Can't Stop the Feeling! by Justin Timberlake
5. I Took a Pill In Ibiza by Mike Posner (Wow, that's four of the Top 5 right there.)

Hit-Bound Top 5
1. Hymn For The Weekend by Coldplay
2. Girls Talk Boys by 5 Seconds of Summer
3. I'm Not Famous by AJR
4. Body Say by Demi Lovato
5. Spirits by The Strumbellas

Top 20 Breakdown:
0 - Garbage:
None!

1 - Bad:
None!

2 - Meh:
20. Sit Still, Look Pretty by Daya
19. New Romantics by Taylor Swift

3 - Decent:
18. Close by Nick Jonas and Tove Lo
17. This Is What You Came For by Calvin Harris with Rihanna
16. History by One Direction
15. Victorious by Panic! At The Disco
14. Dangerous Woman by Ariana Grande

4 - Good:
13. Treat You Better by Shawn Mendes
12. Figure Me Out by The Summer Set
11. Toothbrush by DNCE
10. Stressed Out by Twenty-one Pilots
9. Wherever I Go by OneRepublic

5 - Great:
8. Once In a While by Timeflies
7. We Don't Talk Anymore by Charlie Puth and Selena Gomez
6. Just Like Fire by P!nk
5. Don't Let Me Down by The Chainsmokers featuring Daya
4. I Took a Pill In Ibiza by Mike Posner
3. Can't Stop the Feeling! by Justin Timberlake
2. Cheap Thrills by Sia featuring Sean Paul
1. Ride by Twenty-one Pilots

Overall score: 79/100 - Solid

Songs That Debuted This Week One Year Ago: None.

Thanks for reading, everybody!

4 comments:

  1. Wait so the SeeB remix of HFTW is the one on Hits 1?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's right. The original version was slower, I recognized the dance beats from the Seeb Remix and that was what I heard here.

      Delete
  2. Why is Don't Mind in pink? Wasn't it red a week ago?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True, but I guess you can say I've been finding it funny-bad recently. Not to the same guilty pleasure degree as you, but amusing.

      Delete