Saturday, July 9, 2016

July 9, 2016 - Justin Timberlake (4)


So Kid Kelly hosted the Weekend Countdown this weekend as Spyder Harrison was on vacation in Atlanta. Hope the dude had a nice birthday yesterday! Does he got broads in Atlanta? Haha... Happy birthday, Spyder-Man! Unlike Desiigner himself, you can actually make that claim! Oh, the irony. Anyway, Kid Kelly talked kinda fast and before every song he introduced kept making it abundantly clear what countdown we were listening to. We haven't yet gotten that big shake-up I'm sure everyone is clamoring for. And it's really starting to ring apparent, because I'll say this countdown was rather weak...at least the first half of it. But I'm starting to feel like Hits 1 refuses to let these songs go. Are these songs hypnotizing the Wutchuwant crew into liking them or something? Heh... With that being said, here are the songs leaving us this week.
  • Make Me Like You by Gwen Stefani (#44)
The Countdown!
Last Week’s #1 Song: Can't Stop the Feeling! by Justin Timberlake
45. Work by Rihanna featuring Drake (#41)
44. Jet Black Heart by 5 Seconds of Summer (#38)
43. Never Forget You by Zara Larsson and MNEK (#37)
42. 7 Years by Lukas Graham (#42)
41. If It Ain't Love by Jason Derulo (#41)
40. Send My Love (To Your New Lover) by Adele (debut)
39. Me, Myself and I by G-Eazy and Bebe Rexha (#45)
38. No by Meghan Trainor (#38)
37. Hands to Myself by Selena Gomez (#35)
36. Irresistible by Fall Out Boy and Demi Lovato (#34)
35. Messin' Around by Pitbull and Enrique Iglesias (#30)
34. Pillowtalk by Zayn Malik (#32)
33. Work From Home by Fifth Harmony (#23)
32. Cake By The Ocean by DNCE (#31) (four weeks at #1)
31. My House by Flo Rida (#33) (one week at #1)
30. Victorious by Panic! At The Disco (#36) (one week at #1)
29. Youth by Troye Sivan (#34)
28. Lost Boy by Ruth B. (#26)
27. Kill 'Em With Kindness by Selena Gomez (#27)
26. Missing You by All Time Low (#28)
25. Don't Mind by Kent Jones (#39)
24. Unsteady by X Ambassadors (#12)
23. Treat You Better by Shawn Mendes (#22)
22. We Don't Talk Anymore by Charlie Puth and Selena Gomez (#19)
21. You Don't Own Me by Grace (#16)
20. Toothbrush by DNCE (#20)
19. Wild Things by Alessia Cara (#18)
18. Figure Me Out by The Summer Set (#17)
17. Me Too by Meghan Trainor (#21)
16. Wherever I Go by OneRepublic (#24)
15. Once In a While by Timeflies (#25) (about time this did something...)
14. Stressed Out by Twenty-one Pilots (#15)
13. Close by Nick Jonas and Tove Lo (#14)
12. This Is What You Came For by Calvin Harris with Rihanna (#13)
11. Let It Go by James Bay (#5)
10. New Romantics by Taylor Swift (#9) (two weeks at #1)
9. Sit Still, Look Pretty by Daya (#11)
8. History by One Direction (#8)
7. I Took a Pill In Ibiza by Mike Posner (#4) (one week at #1)
6. Dangerous Woman by Ariana Grande (#10)
5. Cheap Thrills by Sia featuring Sean Paul (#6)
4. Ride by Twenty-one Pilots (#7)
3. Don't Let Me Down by The Chainsmokers featuring Daya (#2)
2. Just Like Fire by P!nk (#3)
#1 Song This Week 1 Year Ago: Shut Up and Dance by Walk The Moon
1. Can't Stop the Feeling! by Justin Timberlake (#1) (4th week at #1)

Biggest DRRRRRRROP!!! Of The Week: Unsteady by X Ambassadors (-12)

Biggest Jump Of The Week: Don't Mind by Kent Jones (+14)

New Entrants
- So our lone entrant this week comes from Adele. After dropping the record-tying monster that was Hello a few weeks back, I figured it wouldn't be long before we got Send My Love (To Your New Lover) off of Hit-Bound and here on the countdown. While more Adele is always nice, I find this the weakest of the three singles off of her album 25 so far. That's not to say I think it's bad though, but I don't think it'll hold up quite as well.

Send My Blurbs To Your New Lover
- So this is the third week in a row where we have but one exit, and it's one I'm sure many were wondering when it would leave, Make Me Like You by Gwen Stefani. Looks like some of them got their wish now. But given how bad Hits 1 has been to her in recent years, it wasn't bound to last.

- That being said, our Bottom 5 consists of five songs that have stuck around for a while - in order: one of which needs to get out already, one of which has stood well, one of which was dealt two undeserved kicks in a row last month, another that's hanging after the biggest DRRRRRROP!!! last week, and the newest that also had the same fate not long before then. So we got those...

- ...And right after our new debut, we have two songs that hung around the bottom as well, one of which took a small jump. Neither of them look like they're much longer for here, though.

- Before Kid Kelly introduced Hands to Myself by Selena Gomez, he mentioned Taylor Swift and her 4th of July pool party...which made me think that New Romantics would have the biggest DRRRRRRROP!!! of the week. While I'm sure Lance Warren and Chase are begging for that right about now, he then talked about how Selena Gomez was at that party. Anyway... Yeah, Selena, why would you want to keep your hands to yourself, indeed.

- It doesn't look like Messin' Around by Pitbull and Enrique Iglesias will be with us too much longer.

- Can we please get Cake By The Ocean by DNCE out of here already? This moldy cake is making my ears bleed when I hear it now.

- So this is one of the few times where the song that gets the biggest DRRRRRRROP!!! of the week is higher than the song that gets the biggest jump of the week. Just goes to show how static it was this time around.

- In addition to Spyder-Man, Alessia Cara is also having her birthday this Monday. On that note, Wild Things is still holding up well to me. Maybe it can jump a little further?

- ...And now Me Too by Meghan Trainor is in the Top 20. I have to keep the negativity out of this blurb.

- There are a handful of songs that I keep alternating between green and blue for, because they're not songs I can really see myself hating, like Figure Me Out, Missing You, and Let It Go. But one that's been thrown in blue now is Treat You Better by Shawn Mendes, which I can definitely see myself getting sick of before long.

- I'm very happy with our Top 5, but in particular Ride by Twenty-one Pilots has become my new favorite song on the countdown - yes, over both Can't Stop the Feeling! and I Took a Pill In Ibiza. The reggae-infused elements plus facing with the thoughts of grappling with life... It's clicked with me quite well, and Tyler Joseph has quite some iron lungs on it.

- Speaking of which, Kid Kelly talked really fast to the point where they got to the #1, Can't Stop the Feeling! by Justin Timberlake, ahead of schedule, at 5:54 PM on my iPad, and that was on an iPad that has the countdown start a few minutes behind schedule. Hit-Bound started early, at 5:58. That aside, I'm a little surprised that it was this week's #1, as I didn't hear it as much this week as I did the past couple weeks. But hey, works for me.

- So Shut Up and Dance by Walk The Moon is really Hits 1's most played song of all? Above Hello and Shake It Off, which tie for the record of 12 weeks alongside it? That is interesting.

And for Hit-Bound, Brendon Urie from Panic! At The Disco hosted, and we had but one new entrant: Spirits by The Strumbellas. It's not anything great on its own merits, but it does feel reminiscent of Ho Hey by The Lumineers, a song I do like. Maybe I'll come to like it more. I thought for sure that One Dance by Drake would debut - it's probably going to come when we inevitably get another sweep.

The Hypnotists That Deluded The Crew
1. Me Too by Meghan Trainor
2. Work by Rihanna featuring Drake
3. Cake By The Ocean by DNCE
4. No by Meghan Trainor
5. Kill 'Em With Kindness by Selena Gomez

Countdown Top 5
1. Ride by Twenty-one Pilots
2. Can't Stop the Feeling! by Justin Timberlake
3. Wild Things by Alessia Cara
4. I Took a Pill In Ibiza by Mike Posner
5. Never Forget You by Zara Larsson and MNEK

Top 20 Breakdown:
0 - Garbage:
20. Me Too by Meghan Trainor

1 - Bad:
19. Close by Nick Jonas and Tove Lo

2 - Meh:
18. Sit Still, Look Pretty by Daya
17. New Romantics by Taylor Swift

3 - Decent:
16. Wherever I Go by OneRepublic
15. History by One Direction
14. Stressed Out by Twenty-one Pilots
13. Dangerous Woman by Ariana Grande

4 - Good:
12. Figure Me Out by The Summer Set
11. This Is What You Came For by Calvin Harris with Rihanna

5 - Great:
10. Toothbrush by DNCE
9. Once In a While by Timeflies
8. Let It Go by James Bay
7. Don't Let Me Down by The Chainsmokers featuring Daya
6. Just Like Fire by P!nk
5. Cheap Thrills by Sia featuring Sean Paul
4. I Took a Pill In Ibiza by Mike Posner
3. Wild Things by Alessia Cara
2. Can't Stop the Feeling! by Justin Timberlake
1. Ride by Twenty-one Pilots

Overall score: 75/100 - Solid

Songs That Debuted This Week One Year Ago:
Go Big Or Go Home by American Authors (#38)
I'm Good by The Mowgli's (#35)
Cool For The Summer by Demi Lovato (#19)

Fun fact, even though the American Authors representation made its countdown debut a year ago, the album it's on, What We Live For, only just dropped at the beginning of this month.

In the meantime, I should have that 1,000 pageview special up hopefully within the next few days. Thanks for reading!

8 comments:

  1. I recently just watched TheDoubleAgent's review of the top 20 of the Billboard Hot 100, and I was kind of surprised at what he said about some of the songs. The ones that shocked me was Juts Like Fire, Needed Me, Ride, Send My Love (To Your New Lover) and Don't Mind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Juts Like Fire? Who's that song by?

      Delete
    2. Yeah, I saw the Top 20 review also, and well before that I had seen some of his tweets, so his negative opinions on Just Like Fire and Don't Mind were no surprise to me. I predicted that he would like Ride and Send My Love (To Your New Lover) more, though, and Needed Me he had liked a lot more than most others until he caught what that synth was.

      @Parker: It's by P!nk, as stated on the countdown.

      Delete
  2. NEW ON VENUS: RUNAGROUND - CHASE YOU DOWN

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eh... Thanks for the recommendation I guess? But what does that have to do with anything here?

      Delete
  3. Cool For The Summer; Your bringing back bad memories!!!!

    ReplyDelete