Tuesday, December 6, 2016

December 3, 2016 - The Chainsmokers + Halsey (8)


So yeah, this post was out later than usual. Aside from the fact that I had a big trip on Saturday that would've required me to go fast, I didn't feel quite as motivated on Friday night. I knew it was past 7 when I woke up and didn't even care. And no, I'm not like certain people whom I won't name who thinks we need lots of exits to be worth any discussion! Please don't think I'm like that! But honestly, I might not always try to get posts out right off the bat from here on out; even though I know some people like it when I talk about certain aspects of the countdown (like Spyder's commentary) it does take some out of me waking up at 6 AM every Saturday to get it done. But you don't want to hear me ramble about that. You want me to talk about the countdown. So be it! So without further ado, here are the songs leaving us this week.
  • Body Say by Demi Lovato (#41)
The Countdown!
Last Week’s #1 Song: Closer by The Chainsmokers featuring Halsey
45. Bacon by Nick Jonas (#45)
44. Setting The World On Fire by Kenny Chesney featuring P!nk (#29)
43. My Way by Calvin Harris (#42)
42. We Don't Talk Anymore by Charlie Puth and Selena Gomez (#43)
41. Girls Talk Boys by 5 Seconds of Summer (#40)
40. Send My Love (To Your New Lover) by Adele (#35) (one week at #1)
39. Perfect Illusion by Lady Gaga (#44)
38. Stressed Out by Twenty-one Pilots (#37)
37. I Took a Pill In Ibiza by Mike Posner (#34)
36. Dangerous Woman by Ariana Grande (#39)
35. This Is What You Came For by Calvin Harris with Rihanna (#36)
34. Cheap Thrills by Sia featuring Sean Paul (#38)
33. Can't Stop the Feeling! by Justin Timberlake (#33) (ten weeks at #1)
32. I Hate U, I Love U by gnash featuring Olivia O'Brien (#27)
31. Don't Let Me Down by The Chainsmokers featuring Daya (#32) (three weeks at #1)
30. Water Under The Bridge by Adele (debut)
29. Body Moves by DNCE (#25)
28. All Time Low by Jon Bellion (#18)
27. Ride by Twenty-one Pilots (#23)
26. Chase You Down by Runaground (#28)
25. Play That Song by Train (#31)
24. Greenlight by Pitbull featuring LunchMoney Lewis and Flo Rida (#16)
23. Hymn For The Weekend by Coldplay (#21)
22. That's My Girl by Fifth Harmony (#24)
21. Good Grief by Bastille (#13)
20. In The Name Of Love by Martin Garrix and Bebe Rexha (#20)
19. Side To Side by Ariana Grande featuring Nicki Minaj (#22)
18. Unsteady by X Ambassadors (#19)
17. The Greatest by Sia featuring Kendrick Lamar (#26)
16. Kids by OneRepublic (#11)
15. Cold Water by Major Lazer featuring Justin Bieber and MØ (#30)
14. Fresh Eyes by Andy Grammer (#7)
13. Scars To Your Beautiful by Alessia Cara (#10)
12. Don't Wanna Know by Maroon 5(#15)
11. Sit Still, Look Pretty by Daya (#8)
10. This Town by Niall Horan (#17)
9. Into You by Ariana Grande (#12)
8. Starboy by The Weeknd featuring Daft Punk (#14)
7. Death Of A Bachelor by Panic! At The Disco (#9)
6. 24K Magic by Bruno Mars (#6)
5. Treat You Better by Shawn Mendes (#5) (one week at #1)
4. Starving by Hailee Steinfeld and Grey featuring Zedd (#4)
3. Let Me Love You by DJ Snake with Justin Bieber (#3)
2. Heathens by Twenty-one Pilots (#2)
Top 5 This Week One Year Ago: 5. Shut Up and Dance by Walk The Moon
4. Stitches by Shawn Mendes
3. Ex's and Oh's by Elle King
2. Drag Me Down by One Direction
#1 Song This Week One Year Ago: Hello by Adele (4th of 12 weeks at #1)
1. Closer by The Chainsmokers featuring Halsey (#1) (8th week at #1)

Biggest DRRRRRRROP!!! Of The Week: Setting The World On Fire by Kenny Chesney featuring P!nk (-15)


Biggest Jump Of The Week: Cold Water by Major Lazer featuring Justin Bieber and MØ (+15)


New Entrants

- So have you had enough of Adele yet? No? Good, because she's back with what I can safely consider one of the most anticipated singles from 25 so far, with Water Under The Bridge. This one has a nice flow to it and there's plenty going on, unlike Send My Love (To Your New Lover), which while I did like it overall it's not that hard to see why others didn't. Reportedly, the song is about Adele's relationship with the man that she had her son with a couple years back. To say the least, this is very well written and has quite a nice instrumental to it, and I'm hoping that this becomes a hit much like the last three singles from the album did.

Water Under The Blurbs

- Once again we have but one exit, it being Body Say by Demi Lovato. While the song was fun to start, it didn't last overly long with me in the big picture. I much preferred Cool For The Summer from last year. That one wasn't ultimately top tier material, but I enjoyed it and definitely preferred it to this.

- I would've thought that Perfect Illusion by Lady Gaga would've left by now. It jumped out of the bottom 5, but I'm not complaining.

- That's right, This Is What You Came For by Calvin Harris with Rihanna is my new least favorite song on the countdown. I may have said that Sit Still, Look Pretty is more annoying in general, but this is just less of a real song and I don't know why I liked it to start. I have a feeling that my orange pick will swap between those two and That's My Girl for a little while until something worse comes along. But if Starving hits #1... Ho boy.

- I'm not too surprised to see I Hate U, I Love U by gnash featuring Olivia O'Brien drop out of the Top 30. The song's been pretty hated by many YouTube critics and bloggers.

- The drop for All Time Low by Jon Bellion definitely caught my eye. I may not care for the song but that was a bit alarming.

- Kinda stinks to see Good Grief by Bastille leave the Top 20. Then again it hasn't been big elsewhere, these guys deserve more than one real hit here in America.

- But we also got The Greatest by Sia featuring Kendrick Lamar back in that region. It was in the Top 10 a little while ago but we'll see if it lasts.

- Cold Water by Major Lazer featuring Justin Bieber and MØ did rebound pretty well after that drop from last week. Was there even a point to that drop then?

- So I watched the video for Let Me Love You by DJ Snake with Justin Bieber, which featured a robbery at what looks like a diner followed by a heist, and then apparently the whole thing turns out to be a virtual reality video game. If I may ask... What the heck does that have to do with the song itself?


- And on that note, our entire top 6 remains completely static. Not much to say there.


- Aside from that, we also had Death Of A Bachelor by Panic! At The Disco gain a bit, along with two new Top 10 entries: This Town by Niall Horan, which is doing better here than I bet anyone could've expected, and Starboy by The Weeknd featuring Daft Punk, which is FINALLY no longer being underrated here and getting the treatment that it should! I was worried that it would've followed the same path that The Hills did last year, thank god it didn't.


- Finally we have yet ANOTHER re-entry into the Top 10 from Into You by Ariana Grande. I know that probably every other chart must be over this song by now, not to mention poor Graham... But as for me? I honestly won't care if this song spends another month in the Top 10.


In the world of Hit-Bound, we have two debuts - After The Afterparty by Charli XCX and Bad Things by Machine Gun Kelly featuring Camilla Cabello. I'll talk about them more if they debut. Also, The Night Is Young by The Summer Set didn't last at all, which doesn't surprise me. I would've liked to see it debut, though.

Top 20 Breakdown:

0 — Shit:
20. Sit Still, Look Pretty by Daya

1 — Bad:

19. Don't Wanna Know by Maroon 5
18. Starving by Hailee Steinfeld and Grey featuring Zedd

2 — Meh:

17. Unsteady by X Ambassadors

3 — Decent:

16. Treat You Better by Shawn Mendes
15. Closer by The Chainsmokers featuring Halsey

4 — Good:

14. Kids by OneRepublic
13. Let Me Love You by DJ Snake with Justin Bieber
12. Cold Water by Major Lazer featuring Justin Bieber and MØ
11. Death Of A Bachelor by Panic! At The Disco

5 — Great:

10. Fresh Eyes by Andy Grammer
9. This Town by Niall Horan
8. Heathens by Twenty-one Pilots
7. The Greatest by Sia featuring Kendrick Lamar
6. Scars To Your Beautiful by Alessia Cara5. Into You by Ariana Grande
4. Starboy by The Weeknd featuring Daft Punk
3. Side To Side by Ariana Grande featuring Nicki Minaj
2. In The Name Of Love by Martin Garrix and Bebe Rexha
1. 24K Magic by Bruno Mars

Countdown Bottom 5

1. This Is What You Came For by Calvin Harris with Rihanna
2. That's My Girl by Fifth Harmony
3. Sit Still, Look Pretty by Daya
4. Don't Wanna Know by Maroon 5
5. Starving by Hailee Steinfeld and Grey featuring Zedd

Countdown Top 5

1. Tie: 24K Magic by Bruno Mars
1. Tie: Water Under The Bridge by Adele
3. In The Name Of Love by Martin Garrix and Bebe Rexha
4. Side To Side by Ariana Grande featuring Nicki Minaj
5. Good Grief by Bastille

Most Missed Song: FourFiveSeconds by Rihanna featuring Kanye West and Paul McCartney - When I was in New York on Saturday, I actually heard a bit of this song playing in one of the souvenir shops I passed by.


#1 Recommendation For Hits 1 And The Countdown: False Alarm by The Weeknd - GET THIS ON HITS 1 LIKE NOW PLEASE


Songs That Debuted This Week One Year Ago:

Cake By The Ocean by DNCE — I'll have more words for this one later in the month (or maybe next month, I don't know), but long story short, you don't have to look far to see it called an Uptown Funk wannabe.
In The Night by The Weeknd — Again, I'll talk more about this one after the Year-End Hot 100 drops, but this one tells a story and The Weeknd sells it so well. I feel like more remember it for that random re-entry it made back the week that CSTF debuted.
Out Of The Woods by Taylor Swift — While this is a re-entry, I'm calling it a debut because last time it only had one week and here it was a proper tenure. That being said, you basically know what to expect from Taylor Swift nowadays, but the production here is pretty cool.

Thanks for reading, everybody!

9 comments:

  1. Yay for the recommendation and the orange song!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha yeah, False Alarm is a real banger and TIWYCF I doubt I'm displeasing too many calling bad at this point.

      Delete
  2. And wait a second, where were you in New York on Saturday? I was there too, on that exact day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I was invited there by my college for a Broadway trip. So, Manhattan, basically. After the show was over we hung around and explored for a little while.

      And didn't you say you're from Long Island?

      Delete
    2. I was at Radio City on Saturday to see a show. And yeah I'm a Long Islander.

      Delete
  3. How come that Death of a Bachelor is on here but I can't find it anywhere on the Hot 100?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not all songs on this countdown are on the Billboard Hot 100.

      Delete