Friday, May 5, 2017

April 29, 2017 - The Chainsmokers (1)


After the good note that we were on last week, I would consider this a bit of a downgrade. Not a drastic downgrade, but still a downgrade nonetheless. At least we had one long overdue departure, but we also say goodbye to one of my favorite songs of last year. Our #1 is...unusual, to say the least, an interesting one but not as good as last week's. So without further ado, here are the songs leaving us this week.
  • Death Of A Bachelor by Panic! At The Disco (#44)
  • Treat You Better by Shawn Mendes (#42) (spent two weeks at #1) (!!!)
  • Heathens by Twenty-one Pilots (#38) (spent two weeks at #1)
The Countdown!
Last Week’s #1 Song: That's What I Like by Bruno Mars
45. Love On The Brain by Rihanna (#43)
44. Chained To The Rhythm by Katy Perry featuring Skip Marley (#21)
43. Miss You by James Hersey (#39)
42. Million Reasons by Lady Gaga (#45)
41. Side To Side by Ariana Grande featuring Nicki Minaj (#41)
40. Water Under The Bridge by Adele (#30)
39. I Feel It Coming by The Weeknd featuring Daft Punk (#11)
38. This Town by Niall Horan (#40)
37. Don't Leave by Snakehips featuring MO (#35)
36. Sign Of The Times by Harry Styles (#25)
35. Starving by Hailee Steinfeld and Grey featuring Zedd (#26)
34. All Time Low by Jon Bellion (#28)
33. Attention by Charlie Puth (debut)
32. 24K Magic by Bruno Mars (#33)
31. Just Hold On by Steve Aoki featuring Louis Tomlinson (#29)
30. Now or Never by Halsey (#36)
29. There's Nothing Holding Me Back by Shawn Mendes (debut)
28. Bad Things by Machine Gun Kelly and Camila Cabello (#31)
27. Don't Wanna Know by Maroon 5 (#32) (three weeks at #1)
26. Lights Down Low by MAX featuring gnash (#34)
25. The Cure by Lady Gaga (debut)
24. I Don't Wanna Live Forever by Zayn Malik and Taylor Swift (#27)
23. HandClap by Fitz And The Tantrums (#22)
22. Weak by AJR (#17)
21. Heavydirtysoul by Twenty-one Pilots (#14)
20. Cake by Flo Rida featuring 99 Percent (#37)
19. Play That Song by Train (#20)
18. Something Just Like This by The Chainsmokers featuring Coldplay (#19)
17. All Night by The Vamps featuring Matoma (#23)
16. Slide by Calvin Harris featuring Frank Ocean and Migos (#24)
15. Heavy by Linkin Park featuring Kiiara (#18)
14. Issues by Julia Michaels (#15)
13. Cold by Maroon 5 (#12)
12. Rockabye by Clean Bandit featuring Sean Paul and Anne-Marie (#9)
11. L.A. Devotee by Panic! At The Disco (#16)
10. Closer by The Chainsmokers featuring Halsey (#13) (eight weeks at #1)
9. Believer by Imagine Dragons (#8)
8. It Ain't Me by Kygo featuring Selena Gomez (#7)
7. Castle On The Hill by Ed Sheeran (#10) (one week at #1)
6. That's What I Like by Bruno Mars (#1) (one week at #1)
5. Say You Won't Let Go by James Arthur (#6)
4. Stay by Zedd featuring Alessia Cara (#3)
3. Mercy by Shawn Mendes (#4)
2. Shape Of You by Ed Sheeran (#2) (nine weeks at #1)
#1 Song This Week One Year Ago: Stressed Out by Twenty-one Pilots (fifth and final week at #1)
1. Paris by The Chainsmokers (#5) (first week at #1)

Biggest DRRRRRRROP!!! Of The Week: I Feel It Coming by The Weeknd featuring Daft Punk (-28) (Goddammit Hits 1...)

Biggest Jump Of The Week: Cake by Flo Rida featuring 99 Percent (+17)

New Entrants
- So, if you've come to hate Charlie Puth based on songs like One Call Away and We Don't Talk Anymore, too bad, because he's still here. The former is one of the most hated songs from last year, and for good reason. The latter hasn't been much better received at all, and I didn't mind it per se, but there was still very little to look forward to from this guy. But now we get a new song from him, name of Attention. What this song boils down to is Puth dissing an ex that is trying to fuck with him. But I have to say, I kinda like it. You know, I vaguely remember some people saying that Charlie Puth was better in his days of trying to be a swagster (wow I can't believe I actually said that) than being whitebread safety (that's a wording I feel like I throw around a lot here). This is alright for what it wants to be, but I do feel like it could be better with a different performer. So overall, I like it right now, but I don't know if it will stick with me in the long run.

- So it's about time that Treat You Better left us. I'll get back to raving about that in a bit, but it wouldn't be Hits 1 without replacing one Shawn Mendes song with another, now would it? His newest song, There's Nothing Holding Me Back, has already entered, as a song from the reissue of his 2016 album Illuminate. This one doesn't sound as damp and hollow as the previous representation, and there's actually some texture to the instrumentation, and the premise isn't quite as unsettling this time around. So yeah, props. But will it stick with me to the end? Probably not. We'll find out.

- Lady Gaga continues to reign, this time with The Cure. The song is about how she wants to be there for a lover, and I guess that's a nice enough premise, but that drop in the intro and post-chorus parts can get annoying. While it's in green right now, it could surely turn blue. But I'll take it right now.

I Will Blurb Right By Your Side
- So Death Of A Bachelor had a respectable run in its own right, and I'll take that. As for Treat You Better, I can't believe I used to like you at one point. I should have known better than to buy into your claims of being something you weren't. Oh yeah, and BEDDA DANNIE CAN. Those who have had that jammed into their head, like myself, can never unhear it. So, goodbye, Treat You Better. You will definitely not be missed. Heathens, however, was a big favorite of mine from last year. It's not surprising that you were as big as you were, and I liked you either way even if you were unusual. So while Graham threw a be-gone party, here me and Hollow Man are doing the opposite. So, farewell, Heathens. You will be missed.

- Before introducing Love On The Brain, Spyder mentioned how Rihanna was accused of disrespecting the Queen of England after some Photoshop shenanigans, which was not helped by her 91st birthday being yesterday. I then had to look it up for myself, and one of the photos was captioned "Be humble." Yay for that epic shout-out!

- Chained To The Rhythm took a big drop right down to the bottom 3. It seems every source is really getting over this song, and Katy Perry in general.

- And on the note of big drops, I Feel It Coming took a massive drop all the way down to #39. I'm not exactly pleased by this. Then again, it is dying out elsewhere, and it did alright enough.

- I'm not even gonna comment on Don't Wanna Know jumping out of the bottom third of the countdown.

- Slide entering the Top 20? Count me in. Not overly thrilled about All Night joining it, however, especially if it's kicking Heavydirtysoul out of there.

- I would much rather have Rockabye in the Top 10 than Closer once more, but hey.

- Then, our new #1, Paris, is not the song I would expect to take the top, especially after how much it's been faltering out elsewhere. Also, what is it with songs taking such big drops out of the top spot recently? Because this is the third week in a row where the #1 song has dropped at least five spots. If that's any indication, I feel like the same will happen here.

Hit-Bound
Good News by Ocean Park Standoff
Wicked by Mansionz featuring G-Eazy
Break My Heart by Hey Violet
Overwhelming by Jon Bellion
Most Girls by Hailee Steinfeld (debut)
Still Got Time by Zayn Malik featuring PARTYNEXTDOOR
Kissing Strangers by DNCE
Swalla by Jason Derulo featuring Ty Dolla $ign and Nicki Minaj
Sooner Or Later by Aaron Carter
Young & Menace by Fall Out Boy (debut)
Good Time, Good Life by Erin Bowman
Bon Appétit by Katy Perry (debut)
American Girls by One Ok Rock
Good Life by Kehlani featuring G-Eazy

- Our two new representations have some weird stuff going on, that much I can say. Aside from Most Girls, which is alright I guess.

There will not be a Top 20 breakdown this week because this post is already late enough as is.

Countdown Bottom 5
1. Don't Wanna Know by Maroon 5
2. Starving by Hailee Steinfeld and Grey featuring Zedd
3. Play That Song by Train
4. Bad Things by Machine Gun Kelly and Camila Cabello
5. Cold by Maroon 5


Countdown Top 5
1. Something Just Like This by The Chainsmokers featuring Coldplay
2. That's What I Like by Bruno Mars
3. I Feel It Coming by The Weeknd featuring Daft Punk
4. Castle On The Hill by Ed Sheeran
5. Slide by Calvin Harris featuring Frank Ocean and Migos


Hit-Bound Top 5
1. Swalla by Jason Derulo featuring Ty Dolla $ign and Nicki Minaj
2. Good News by Ocean Park Standoff
3. Sooner Or Later by Aaron Carter
4. Wicked by Mansionz featuring G-Eazy
5. Overwhelming by Jon Bellion


Most Missed Song: Midnight City by M83 - Not only was this CountdownRecap's favorite countdown song of 2012, but many have said that Paris takes off of this one.

#1 Recommendation For Hits 1 And The Countdown: Passionfruit by Drake (yes I'm serious)


Favorite Countdown Song This Week One Year Ago: Ride by Twenty-one Pilots


Songs That Debuted This Week One Year Ago:
Never Forget You by Zara Larsson featuring MNEK — This is still pretty respectable, but it makes me wish that Lush Life hadn't been as massive a snub as it was in the US. For that matter, I may have overhyped Symphony last time, but that one is still excellent.
Close by Nick Jonas and Tove Lo — Eh. Not really a lot to say about this one at this point. Didn't like it to begin with, it grew on me to a degree, but still nothing I can really care about.
Just Like Fire by P!nk — If ever there was a song that adequately shows how much different this countdown blogging fam is from the YouTube reviewing committee, it would have to be this one.

QOTD: What are your thoughts on I'm The One by DJ Khaled with Justin Bieber and his posse? I ask because this song is very likely to debut at #1 on Monday. I like it, it sounds similar to Don't Mind from last year, and it's not as good as Do You Mind, but it does have a cute enough premise.

Thanks for reading, everybody!

28 comments:

  1. Actually many are saying that Rockabye, Paris, It Ain't Me, and Stay are rip-offs of Midnight City.

    The only reason I like Close, is because it's a duet. If it wasn't I'd probably have hated it.

    Yes, we get it, people like Todd, Mark, and Ethan don't like Just Like Fire. But, I do know that Show With No Name does like it, and put it in his top 10 for 2016.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, the Midnight City comparison has been rampant, at least for Paris. But the other three songs... I guess I see it?

      And I honestly forgot about Show With No Name's 2016 list, though I do remember that he had Roses at #1.

      Delete
  2. Close is an amazing song. I still don't see anything wrong with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eh, just slow and not very remarkable, and that one line before the chorus is still not very appealing. As Miles said above, it does take advantage of it being a duet, otherwise it probably would be red.

      Delete
  3. Nice post, Scott! It's been a while since I reviewed the countdown...

    As far as our exits go, Treat You Better was overdue to leave for sometime now. I grew out of Death Of A Bachelor a while ago. The exit that I will miss the most is Heathens. I know Graham is gonna throw a be-gone party, but I will be grieving at its departure.

    I didn't quite expect Paris to be #1, but I'll take it since I still like it. However, I've been enjoying it's successor (Something Just Like This) more, so I'm hoping it hits #1 soon.

    It's too bad that Chained TO The Rhythm dropped all the way down to the Bottom 5. I still enjoy this song, so I'm not very thrilled to see it declining everywhere else.

    I'm also not happy about I Feel It Coming having the biggest drop of the week. Here's to hoping it recovers soon, but I doubt it since it's also declining elsewhere.

    Songs like IDWLF, Million Reasons, and Bad Things are fading on me, especially the latter since I'm pretty tired of it too. The first two (IDWLF and Million Reasons) on the other hand, while I still kinda like them, they're not as good as they once were. So they're in pink for me right now.

    Sorry Scott and Miles, but I still like Mercy and it's not departing on me anytime soon.

    My Top 5:
    1. Something Just Like This
    2. I Feel It Coming
    3. That's What I Like
    4. Rockabye
    5. It Ain't Me (sorry Miles)


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm definitely all-around pleased with that Top 5. And good commentary!

      Delete
  4. On the note of Hit-Bound, I'm not really wild about our entrants this week.

    I'll probably like Bon Appétit, but it won't stick with me in the long run.

    I don't have an opinion on Most Girls I haven't heard it yet.

    We have the return of Fall Out Boy with their new single Young & Menace. I've liked their previous singles (Uma Thurman, Centuries, etc.), but I'm not wild about this song either, and I'm sure Adrian will most likely say the same. But since Hits 1 loves Fall Out Boy so much, we'll probably have to get used to it, I'm afraid.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We have the same Hit-Bound purple, but that orange...:(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have the same Hit-Bound orange, but that purple...:(

      Delete
    2. His purple is orange IMO.

      Delete
    3. Yeah I can't say I am liking Kissing Strangers. And I do like Swalla so ha :P

      Delete
    4. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! My throat hurts.

      Delete
  6. #1 Recommendation for Hits 1 and the countdown: Logic/Alessia
    Cara/Khalid - 1-800-273-8255

    ReplyDelete
  7. Not a big fan of I'm The One, but I still prefer it over the Despacito remix *Shudders*

    And that number one was certainly a surprise! It's 19 on billboard, and it seems to be going away soon.


    Also, how are you feeling about the new number 1 on Billboard?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely liking that new #1 on Billboard.

      Also I don't think I know much from the Despacito remix.

      Delete
    2. Despacito will hit #1 next week.

      Delete
  8. Guess The Song:
    I'm still on the countdown.
    Taylor Swift is one of the singers in my song.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Guess The Weekend Countdown:
    I have 6 exits.
    A song by Linkin Park left in my week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WTF Chase? It's a guess a SXMWC, not a song.

      Delete
    2. If you want to know the weekend countdowm, it was January 11, 2014 which was one of the best weeks of 2014.

      Delete
  10. I suggest you should vote for my 2016 Hits 1 Year-End List rankdown. If you don't want to vote, it's up to you. But if you've participated in a Song Wars before, you'll like this too. It would be more fun if there were more votes, so I suggest you vote if you want. I currently have 4 votes, including myself. The form closes in 10 days, and here is the link:
    https://goo.gl/forms/8nJ3Lox8liGXG9QR2

    ReplyDelete