Saturday, August 13, 2016

August 13, 2016 - Justin Timberlake (8)


No time for introductions at the moment - have to be right out the door almost instantly after the end of the countdown is present, so if I want to get this out as early as possible before I leave for a very long day at work, gonna have to go fast! With that being said, here are the songs leaving us this week.

  • Me, Myself and I by G-Eazy and Bebe Rexha (#45)
  • History by One Direction (#29)

The Countdown!
Last Week’s #1 Song: Can't Stop the Feeling! by Justin Timberlake
45. You Don't Own Me by Grace (#43)
44. Close by Nick Jonas and Tove Lo (#42)
43. Lost Boy by Ruth B. (#40)
42. Kill 'Em With Kindness by Selena Gomez (#33)
41. Wherever I Go by OneRepublic (#32)
40. Work From Home by Fifth Harmony (#35)
39. Victorious by Panic! At The Disco (#27) (one week at #1)
38. Don't Mind by Kent Jones (#24)
37. 7 Years by Lukas Graham (#34)
36. No by Meghan Trainor (#44)
35. Cake By The Ocean by DNCE (#38) (four weeks at #1)
34. I Took a Pill In Ibiza by Mike Posner (#16) (two weeks at #1)
33. Let It Go by James Bay (#36)
32. Hands To Myself by Selena Gomez (#41)
31. New Romantics by Taylor Swift (Don't leave yet please...?)
30. All In My Head (Flex) by Fifth Harmony (debut)
29. I'm Not Famous by AJR (#37)
28. All About Us by Jordan Fisher (#28)
27. Heathens by Twenty-one Pilots (debut)
26. Into You by Ariana Grande (#31)
25. Missing You by All Time Low (#24)
24. Say by Symon (#26)
23. Mama Said by Lukas Graham (#22)
22. Toothbrush by DNCE (#17)
21. Lovesick by Jacob Whitesides (#25)
20. Girls Talk Boys by 5 Seconds of Summer (#21)
19. Body Say by Demi Lovato (#20)
18. The Sound by The 1975 (#19)
17. One Dance by Drake featuring WizKid and Kyla (#18)
16. Stressed Out by Twenty-one Pilots (#15) (five weeks at #1)
15. Dangerous Woman by Ariana Grande (#5)
14. Figure Me Out by The Summer Set (#13)
13. Me Too by Meghan Trainor (#14)
12. Unsteady by X Ambassadors (#30)
11. Once In A While by Timeflies (#12)
10. We Don't Talk Anymore by Charlie Puth and Selena Gomez (#11)
9. Just Like Fire by P!nk (#10)
8. This Is What You Came For by Calvin Harris with Rihanna (#9)
7. Send My Love (To Your New Lover) by Adele (#8)
6. Cheap Thrills by Sia featuring Sean Paul (#6)
5. Treat You Better by Shawn Mendes (#7)
4. Sit Still, Look Pretty by Daya (#2)
3. Ride by Twenty-one Pilots (#3)2. Don't Let Me Down by The Chainsmokers featuring Daya (#4)
#1 Song This Week 1 Year Ago: Shut Up and Dance by Walk The Moon
1. Can't Stop the Feeling! by Justin Timberlake (#1) (8th week at #1)

Biggest DRRRRRRROP!!! Of The Week: I Took a Pill In Ibiza by Mike Posner (-18)


Biggest Jump Of The Week: Unsteady by X Ambassadors (+18)


New Entrants

- Here we have Fifth Harmony once more, with All In My Head (Flex). I am disappointed that they cut Fetty Wap out of the song because he's a big part of what makes it good. But that's not to say the song is bad without him, just not quite as good. It still has some nice reggae to it, and the girls do have good performances. And at the very least, it's better than the completely old and worn Work From Home. So yeah, I'm definitely cool with it being here. Also, fun fact: this song apparently had over 15 writing credits, not one of which was from any member of Fifth Harmony themselves. That's more than most of the songs we've seen this year. Wow.

- Then we have Heathens by Twenty-one Pilots, which from what I've heard it REALLY feels like an unpopular opinion to like. I predicted it would probably make the countdown thanks to Suicide Squad releasing in theaters, and sure enough, I was right. And I don't see what people hate about this one, maybe the super-autotuned vocals (or whatever those are), but aside from that I think it's well written and the synth fits good. Seriously, are Adrian and I the only living beings who like this?


All My Blurbs Are Heathens, Take It Slow

- Well, it happened. History by One Direction has left the countdown. I knew it was dropping, but I was NOT expecting a leave from that position. That may be the last of One Direction that we potentially ever see. Kinda sad when you really think about it. I doubt anyone's going to miss Me, Myself and I at this point, though.

- Kill 'Em With Kindness by Selena Gomez dropped into the bottom 5. Good news! Hopefully it'll leave soon, but knowing Hits 1, it'll probably hang out there for many weeks.

- Looks like that big out of nowhere burst for Victorious by Panic! At The Disco is starting to sputter out.

- Wow. Both No by Meghan Trainor and Hands to Myself by Selena Gomez took jumps. Cake By The Ocean by DNCE isn't helping. Hopefully this won't cause problems.

- And of course, there was that biggest DRRRRRRROP!!! of the week, which is pretty unfortunate.

- I see that Hits 1 doesn't want to say goodbye to Taylor Swift just yet, as New Romantics took a jump, which was nice after two sudden drops in a row.

- Yes, The Sound by The 1975 is still super cool to me. To the point where it's become my new favorite song on the countdown. Got a problem with that? I don't care. B)

- This may be old news, but does anyone else besides me notice that Figure Me Out by The Summer Set has a melody that feels so reminiscent of a certain classic? One with a highly mistakable name that people accused One Direction of ripping off back in 2013 with Best Song Ever? I'll leave you guys to guess what that song would be.

- So I was at the Phillies Wall of Fame night yesterday, and at one point when I left my seat, Me Too by Meghan Trainor was playing, and apparently I missed the Phanatic dancing to it. Not like I care. I wonder how many people may have booed the song when it came on. But hey, when you're in Philadelphia, you go crazy.

- Unsteady by X Ambassadors taking the biggest jump of the week to (if I'm not mistaken) its highest position yet is kinda crazy, and a nice rebound after having the biggest DRRRRRRROP!!! of the week two weeks in a row. But how long will it last?

- All the songs between 21 and 18, and 11 to 7, advanced one spot from last week.

- So there's news that Adele may be hosting 2017's Super Bowl halftime show... Eh. Don't get me wrong, I love all of Adele's hits, but her soulful, melancholy songs are not something that would really fit an event like that. That aside, I am still liking Send My Love (To Your New Lover), but I really want her to release Water Under The Bridge as an official single.

- Treat You Better by Shawn Mendes has entered the Top 5. Knowing Hits 1, this is no oddity. Seeing as it's starting to show up as a Most Wutchuwanted, I see it as a potential #1.

As for Hit-Bound, we have two new entrants:
Starving by Hailee Steinfeld featuring Grey and Zedd, which has some alright guitar in the verses but a weird titular metaphor, not to mention fuzzy electronics that really aren't appealing to me right about now. I juggled between whether to put it in blue or red, and decided on the former for now, but I have a feeling that this isn't going to stick with me.
And The Little Things by Big Gigantic featuring Angela McCluskey. I've heard it on Venus a few times, and to put it straight, it sucks. Only saved from being orange thanks to the final minute or so which has some nice sax.

Countdown Bottom 5
1. Me Too by Meghan Trainor
2. No by Meghan Trainor
3. Kill 'Em With Kindness by Selena Gomez
4. Work From Home by Fifth Harmony
5. Sit Still, Look Pretty by Daya

Countdown Top 5

1. The Sound by The 1975
2. Into You by Ariana Grande
3. Lovesick by Jacob Whitesides
4. Once In A While by Timeflies
5. I Took a Pill In Ibiza by Mike Posner

Most Missed Song: Shake It Off by Taylor Swift - Yes, the first song of three so far to make that staggering record of 12 weeks at #1 on the countdown.


#1 Recommendation For Hits 1 And The Countdown: Talk by DJ Snake featuring George Maple


Songs That Debuted This Week One Year Ago:

Gibberish by MAX and Hoodie Allen - Hey, I remember this guy! He was on Nickelodeon in 2012 or so. Anyway, he's more on the loud side, it feels like a weird way of talking down to the girl, the drop is weak, and this production feels like it's trying too hard to be deep and big. And Hoodie, you may have "99 problems", but you're no Jay-Z. Eh.
Ghost Town by Adam Lambert - This starts slow, but when the drop comes in, it gets a lot cooler and more energetic.

So, this may have been a little rushed, but I might revise some of this when I have more time. Thanks for reading, everybody!

9 comments:

  1. Aw, I love the Little Things. Unlike you, I'm not a fan of the last minute. And it might not have debuted Hit-Bound even though Hits 1 said it. I'll tell you soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, thought so. Yeah, the song feels loud and the vocals aren't pleasant.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like Heathens. I'm a big Twenty One Pilots fan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You used to not like it.

      Delete
    2. Yeah, I like it too. As I said, it feels like an unpopular opinion to like it, but that may just be me. It'll surely be Top 10 on Billboard tomorrow.

      Delete
  4. Was the song Baba O'Riley by The Who? I remember the controversy from 2013 about Best Song Ever involved the notes sounded similar to the song.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be correct. Baba O'Riley is a song that comes to mind when I hear Figure Me Out.

      Delete