Saturday, August 27, 2016

August 27, 2016 - Adele (1)


...Just when it looked like some change was brewing, things start to fall right back into the slumps. Actually, I don't think this week was that bad in the biggest picture. For one thing, at least we have ourselves a new #1 for the first time in two months, so it's not like nothing interesting happened at all. But let's just hope things pick up in the fall. It's like we're still waiting for that big burst that will massively shift the tides. Also, the MTV Video Music Awards are tomorrow. Even though they probably won't be overly exciting, I'm still gonna watch them and might do a log of the performances if I have time. There are no songs leaving us this week, so let’s go.

The Countdown!

Last Week’s #1 Song: Can't Stop the Feeling! by Justin Timberlake
45. Close by Nick Jonas and Tove Lo (#43)
44. Don't Mind by Kent Jones (#45)
43. Kill 'Em With Kindness by Selena Gomez (#44)
42. Cake By The Ocean by DNCE (#32) (four weeks at #1)
41. Wherever I Go by OneRepublic (#41)
40. Work From Home by Fifth Harmony (#40)
39. 7 Years by Lukas Graham (#37)
38. No by Meghan Trainor (#31)
37. Figure Me Out by The Summer Set (#30)
36. New Romantics by Taylor Swift (#38) (two weeks at #1)
35. Say by Symon (#42) (...)
34. Victorious by Panic! At The Disco (#39) (one week at #1)
33. Hands To Myself by Selena Gomez (#34)
32. Dangerous Woman by Ariana Grande (#29)
31. I Took a Pill In Ibiza by Mike Posner (#36)
30. Stressed Out by Twenty-one Pilots (#27) (five weeks at #1)
29. Just Like Fire by P!nk (#25)
28. All About Us by Jordan Fisher (#26)
27. Toothbrush by DNCE (#13)
26. All In My Head (Flex) by Fifth Harmony (#18)
25. I'm Not Famous by AJR (#19)
24. Missing You by All Time Low (#22)
23. Mama Said by Lukas Graham (#21)
22. Setting The World On Fire by Kenny Chesney and P!nk (#35)
21. One Dance by Drake featuring WizKid and Kyla (#28)
20. Heathens by Twenty-one Pilots (#20)
19. Closer by The Chainsmokers featuring Halsey (#24)
18. Lovesick by Jacob Whitesides (#23)
17. Body Say by Demi Lovato (#16)
16. Once In A While by Timeflies (#33)
15. Sit Still, Look Pretty by Daya (#14)
14. We Don't Talk Anymore by Charlie Puth and Selena Gomez (#8)
13. Hymn For The Weekend by Coldplay (#17)
12. Me Too by Meghan Trainor (#10)
11. Girls Talk Boys by 5 Seconds of Summer (#11)
10. This Is What You Came For by Calvin Harris with Rihanna (#7)
9. The Sound by The 1975 (#15)
8. Into You by Ariana Grande (#12)
7. Unsteady by X Ambassadors (#9)
6. Treat You Better by Shawn Mendes (#6)
5. Cheap Thrills by Sia featuring Sean Paul (#3)
4. Can't Stop the Feeling! by Justin Timberlake (#1) (nine weeks at #1)
3. Ride by Twenty-one Pilots (#4)
2. Don't Let Me Down by The Chainsmokers featuring Daya (#5)
#1 Song This Week 1 Year Ago: Shut Up and Dance by Walk The Moon
1. Send My Love (To Your New Lover) by Adele (#2) (first week at #1)

Biggest DRRRRRRROP!!! Of The Week: Toothbrush by DNCE (-14)


Biggest Jump Of The Week: Once In A While by Timeflies (+17)


Blurbs Ain't Ever Getting Older

- I'm glad Cake By The Ocean by DNCE dropped into the Bottom 5. It's the longest tenured song on the countdown (entered December 5, if memory serves), unless you count Victorious by Panic! At The Disco having made a re-entry six months ago. Hopefully it makes its way out soon.

- I think this is the second time that Wherever I Go by OneRepublic has had a guest DJ while at #41. It's been there for three weeks now. This is also the third week in a row that Work From Home by Fifth Harmony has held at #40. Also, is it just me or am I hearing the sounds of a sad puppy in that second verse and the break before the last chorus? That puppy seems as sad to be a part of this song as most of us are having to hear it.


- I'm honestly wondering when New Romantics by Taylor Swift, and likewise the last of her for some time, is going to give and drop out. But I have a feeling it won't leave for at least a month or so, until some of the ones that have been lingering around for a while are no more.


- Just Like Fire by P!nk might turn blue soon. I just know that I'll eventually remember why I didn't like it to begin with. Setting The World On Fire, on the other hand, I've been enjoying a lot more since its debut last week.


- Even in the absence of Fetty Wap, I'm still liking All In My Head (Flex) by Fifth Harmony, so it sucks that it had to take a hit down so soon.


- Something tells me that Mama Said by Lukas Graham is gonna blow up soon.


- I had a feeling that Closer by The Chainsmokers featuring Halsey would jump into the Top 20, because it's #1 on the Billboard Hot 100. The song hasn't grown on me since it debuted last week, and while it's leading in sales and streaming, it's bound to gain on radio. It's surely gonna get overplayed, which stinks.


- Once In A While by Timeflies rebounded pretty nicely after having the biggest DRRRRRRROP!!! last week.


- During the recaps, Spyder referred to Body Say by Demi Lovato as "Body Talk", and This Is What You Came For by Calvin Harris with Rihanna as "This Is What I Came For". Are you sure that's what you came for, bro? :P


- The guest DJ who introduced We Don't Talk Anymore by Charlie Puth and Selena Gomez gave a shout-out to her boyfriend, and Spyder Harrison asked her how long they had been dating, for a year and a half, claiming they had never had a fight, which Spyder said he didn't believe. How appropriate for the song she was introducing.


- Nice to have my least favorite song out of the Top 10 and have my two favorites enter.


- On that note, true story: while I was out and about the other day, Into You by Ariana Grande came on just as I was arriving at my destinations twice the same day - when I was arriving at the doctor's office for an appointment, and when returning home from a pool later that day. And on Wednesday when I got in my car to leave work, the last 15 seconds of Uptown Funk by Mark Ronson and Bruno Mars were on. Gosh darn it, Hits 1. Y u have to play my favorites at inopportune times for me.


- Finally, we come to our new #1. Being the menace that Adele is, I'm not surprised to see Send My Love (To Your New Lover) at #1. Although it's my least favorite of the Top 3, I still like the song a lot, so I'm cool with it being #1. It was nice to have a guest DJ introduce Can't Stop the Feeling! by Justin Timberlake, though. Seeing as its airplay is starting to shrink, we'll see if its shot at 12 weeks at #1 is over or not.


Hit-Bound

Superstitious by MKTO
Fresh Eyes by Andy Grammer
Wild by Troye Sivan and Alessia Cara
Red Dress by MAGIC!
Never Be Like You by Flume featuring Kai
Spirits by The Strumbellas
Cruel by Snakehips featuring Zayn
Starving by Hailee Steinfeld and Grey featuring Zedd
This Girl by Kungs vs Cooking On 3 Burners
Cold Water by Major Lazer with Justin Bieber and MØ (debut)
The Little Things by Big Gigantic featuring Angela McCluskey
Kids by OneRepublic
Rise by Katy Perry
Back 2 U by Steve Aoki and Boehm featuring Walk The Moon

- All-Time Low hosted Hit-Bound this week.


- Here we say goodbye to Brand New by Ben Rector, which would've been fun to have on the countdown but I'm not too bummed about it.


- We have but one new Hit-Bound entrant this week, in the form of Cold Water by Major Lazer featuring Justin Bieber and MØ. I'm not really sure if I'm completely on board with the song yet. It's definitely not as good as Lean On from last year, but I can't say it's a bad song at all, so for now it's in blue. We'll see if it turns green.


- Starving by Hailee Steinfeld featuring Grey and Zedd very well may turn red soon. The first part of that drop is awkward and scrunchy enough, but that screechy thing before she says "By the way, by the way, you do things to my body" sounds like a cat being scratched and having its reaction echoed and mutated. Yeah, this one is not going to stick with me at all.


Top 20 Breakdown:

0 - Garbage:
20. Me Too by Meghan Trainor

1 - Bad:

19. Sit Still, Look Pretty by Daya
18. Closer by The Chainsmokers featuring Halsey

2 - Meh:

17. This Is What You Came For by Calvin Harris with Rihanna

3 - Decent:

16. Unsteady by X Ambassadors
15. Treat You Better by Shawn Mendes
14. We Don't Talk Anymore by Charlie Puth and Selena Gomez

4 - Good:

13. Lovesick by Jacob Whitesides
12. Body Say by Demi Lovato
11. Girls Talk Boys by 5 Seconds of Summer
10. Cheap Thrills by Sia featuring Sean Paul

5 - Great:

9. Don't Let Me Down by The Chainsmokers featuring Daya
8. Send My Love (To Your New Lover) by Adele
7. Can't Stop the Feeling! by Justin Timberlake
6. Once In A While by Timeflies
5. Ride by Twenty-one Pilots
4. Heathens by Twenty-one Pilots
3. Hymn For The Weekend by Coldplay
2. Into You by Ariana Grande
1. The Sound by The 1975

Overall score: 74/100 - Good


Countdown Bottom 5

1. Me Too by Meghan Trainor
2. No by Meghan Trainor
3. Kill 'Em With Kindness by Selena Gomez
4. Work From Home by Fifth Harmony
5. Cake By The Ocean by DNCE

Countdown Top 5

1. The Sound by The 1975
2. Into You by Ariana Grande
3. Hymn For The Weekend by Coldplay
4. Heathens by Twenty-one Pilots
5. All In My Head (Flex) by Fifth Harmony

Hit-Bound Top 5

1. This Girl by Kungs vs Cooking On 3 Burners
2. Back 2 U by Steve Aoki and Boehm featuring Walk The Moon
3. Superstitious by MKTO
4. Spirits by The Strumbellas
5. Never Be Like You by Flume featuring Kai

Most Missed Song: Blank Space by Taylor Swift - It left the countdown this week one year ago. How appropriate.


#1 Recommendation For Hits 1 And The Countdown: Kiss The Sky by Jason Derulo


Songs That Debuted This Week One Year Ago:

Love Myself by Hailee Steinfeld — I LOVE ME!!! GONNA LOVE MYSELF NO I DON'T NEED ANYBODY ELSE!!! While there isn't anything particularly stand-out about this track, that chorus is fun to shout out to.
Black Magic by Little Mix — I already talked about this song and the next two, but put short, this is like what Fifth Harmony would sound like if they threw a disco sound on them.
Wildest Dreams by Taylor Swift — Leave it to Taylor Swift to make a song that's a touching parting gift and not a stupid kiss-off. Fun fact, earlier this year this would've been in my Top 5 for 2015, but in time it got bumped off the Top 10. Still great though.
Locked Away by R. City featuring Adam Levine — Adam Levine's best performance in a long time, and its premise is pretty well done and heartfelt.
Beautiful Now by Zedd with Jon Bellion — I really can't say that I'm as big a fan of this song as a lot of these bloggers were. This doesn't feel quite as lively as most EDM tracks feel like they should. And what the heck is with the part in the video where Zedd tries to smuggle at a convenience store then threatens the owner with a knife?

One last thing I want to say before I wrap this up, I'll be on vacation in California next week (the 31st through the 4th), so it won't be as easy to do the countdown post that week. I don't know when I'll be back home on the 4th, so depending on then, either I won't listen to the countdown and I'll just go off of what's given, or I'll listen to the 9 PM one on Sunday. We'll see what happens, but either way the post then will probably be late. Either way, thanks for reading, everybody!

23 comments:

  1. Thank you! Finally a blurb about the atrocity that is Work From Home.

    Black Magic actually sounds more like Girls Just Wanna Have Fun. And it would actually be what Fifth Harmony would be if they actually cared. And if they wouldn' try so hard to be the next Pussycat Dolls and fail miserably.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That puppy must have felt bad about being in the song. :(

      And when you mention that, yeah, Black Magic does have similarities to Girls Just Wanna Have Fun. It surely runs over what Fifth Harmony has made, that much I can say. I know that Mark said the Pussycat Dolls "weren't peddling this retrograde nonsense"...

      Delete
    2. Especially considering how lazily produced the song is. Its bland, boring, terribly crafted lyrics, bad vocals, and worst of all a failed attempt to show the world that Fifth Harmony are the next Pussycat Dolls. Despite the fact that at least they had talent, and weren't a bunch of sellouts like they are in this atrocity people call a song.

      Delete
  2. I know that feeling when the last 15 seconds of your favorite song plays...I found it the hard way: Girls Talk Boys :(

    And for #35, TAKE THAT! (Even though it left #40Friday last night.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To put it short, I do find Say still tolerable for the time being, it'd probably be in the Meh tier (hence being turquoise and not red), but yeah that did kinda come unexpected.

      So true, stinks when you don't find a song you like until it's right at its end. At least I have stuff like Spotify :P

      Delete
    2. One day I got into my car and turned on the radio just as Hymn For The Weekend was ending. I had The Pulse on, so it was the original version. :/ Sucks when you turn on the radio right at the end of your favorite song.

      Delete
    3. YOUR car?

      And I have Spotify also.

      Delete
    4. Well not my car. It's my dad's car and I was the passenger. But you get the idea.

      Delete
    5. Oh. You're 17, so I was wondering if it was your car.

      Delete
  3. Thank you for hating The Little Things!!!!!!!!! And just wondering what's so bad about Rise? And wow you got sick of Say fast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I hated The Little Things since it's loud and the lead vocalist's voice doesn't help.

      I'm sure I've said this before, but for a comeback single for Katy Perry, I found Rise to be insanely disappointing. I'll have more words for it should it make the countdown, but I also feel like it's really overproduced.

      And I didn't get sick of Say "fast", it had been on Hit-Bound for months and much like Adrian I realized it isn't an exciting song.

      Delete
  4. And you might wanna look what you put for Me Too under the top 20 review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heh, yeah, I was messing around while Hit-Bound was going on before I posted the update, typing "Meghans" instead of "Trainor" in a few places. I thought of not fixing it to be funny, but decided to.

      Delete
    2. I know you were trying to do the funny typo's that TheDoubleAgent does in his videos.

      Delete
    3. Haha, yeah. Maybe someday I'll do a dumb countdown post where I make funny typos for most/all of the songs :P

      Delete
    4. I'm actually thinking of doing that for the upcoming Billboard post this week.

      Delete
    5. CountdownRecap did that once, I guess?

      http://hits1countdownreview.blogspot.com/2012/04/trashmen-2507-week-of-april-1-2012.html

      Delete
  5. I just realized I don't see Send My Love on the top 20 review. You have I Took A Pill In Ibiza on the top 20 list, despite the fact its below the top 20.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I noticed that when you commented here. I was like, holy smokes, how did I miss the #1? Already fixed it, though.

      Delete
  6. I'm also kinda tired of Say. I used to love it (it hit the top 4 on the Pop 20 Chart) but I'm kinda realizing that it's not that catchy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It hit #1 6 times on #40Friday. It left on Friday.

      Delete
  7. Where in California are you going?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. San Francisco. Parents are going to a gay wedding that the under aged aren't invited to, but there'll be other stuff to do outside of that.

      Delete