Saturday, August 6, 2016

August 6, 2016 - Justin Timberlake (7)


So there was some alright activity. On one end, we still have plenty of old stuff that it'd be nice to see out before long. On the other, it looks like some of it is going little by little. We are starting to make some progress, but I can definitely see that wipe coming soon. With that being said, here are the songs leaving us this week.
  • Youth by Troye Sivan (#34)
  • Pillowtalk by Zayn Malik (#44)
The Countdown!
Last Week’s #1 Song: Can't Stop the Feeling! by Justin Timberlake
45. Me, Myself and I by G-Eazy and Bebe Rexha (#45)
44. No by Meghan Trainor (#38)
43. You Don't Own Me by Grace (#41)
42. Close by Nick Jonas and Tove Lo (#27)
41. Hands to Myself by Selena Gomez (#43)
40. Lost Boy by Ruth B. (#42)
39. New Romantics by Taylor Swift (#23) (two weeks at #1) (Yikes!)
38. Cake By The Ocean by DNCE (#30) (four weeks at #1)
37. I'm Not Famous by AJR (debut)
36. Let It Go by James Bay (#32)
35. Work From Home by Fifth Harmony (#35)
34. 7 Years by Lukas Graham (#40)
33. Kill 'Em With Kindness by Selena Gomez (#33)
32. Wherever I Go by OneRepublic (#28)
31. Into You by Ariana Grande (debut)
30. Unsteady by X Ambassadors (#37)
29. History by One Direction (#29)
28. All About Us by Jordan Fisher (#39)
27. Victorious by Panic! At The Disco (#12) (one week at #1)
26. Say by Symon (#25)
25. Lovesick by Jacob Whitesides (#36)
24. Don't Mind by Kent Jones (#15)
23. Missing You by All Time Low (#24)
22. Mama Said by Lukas Graham (#19)
21. Girls Talk Boys by 5 Seconds of Summer (#20)
20. Body Say by Demi Lovato (#31)
19. The Sound by The 1975 (#26)
18. One Dance by Drake featuring WizKid and Kyla (#21)
17. Toothbrush by DNCE (#22)
16. I Took a Pill In Ibiza by Mike Posner (#9)
15. Stressed Out by Twenty-one Pilots (#18)
14. Me Too by Meghan Trainor (#17)
13. Figure Me Out by The Summer Set (#16)
12. Once In A While by Timeflies (#13)
11. We Don't Talk Anymore by Charlie Puth and Selena Gomez (#8)
10. Just Like Fire by P!nk (#4)
9. This Is What You Came For by Calvin Harris with Rihanna (#11)
8. Send My Love (To Your New Lover) by Adele
7. Treat You Better by Shawn Mendes (#10)
6. Cheap Thrills by Sia featuring Sean Paul (#5)
5. Dangerous Woman by Ariana Grande (#6)
4. Don't Let Me Down by The Chainsmokers featuring Daya (#7)
3. Ride by Twenty-one Pilots (#2)
2. Sit Still, Look Pretty by Daya (#3)
#1 Song This Week 1 Year Ago: Bad Blood by Taylor Swift
1. Can't Stop the Feeling! by Justin Timberlake (#1) (7th week at #1)

Biggest DRRRRRRROP!!! Of The Week: New Romantics by Taylor Swift (-16)


Biggest Jump Of The Week: Tie between All About Us by Jordan Fisher, Lovesick by Jacob Whitesides and Body Say by Demi Lovato (+11)


New Entrants

- So first up, we've got AJR, the guys who made the hysterical I'm Ready from 2014, which was more of a guilty pleasure of mine, even if that ridiculous Spongebob sample was, well, ridiculous. xD Here, they're back with a new song called I'm Not Famous. To say the least, this song is cute. It's about how not stressful not being famous is, which I think is something a lot of us can relate to, as not being famous means you have much less to deal with in life. Novelty songs are, well, novelties in the big picture, so this won't stick with me forever, but for now it's an amusing song.

- Then we have quite possibly the most epic song of the year so far, with Into You by Ariana Grande. They weren't joking when they said this was her edgiest song yet. It's tense, and while it might not have that nice guitar solo that its predecessor had, it trades that for a big burst of synth in between the last two choruses. Absolutely epic. Easily my new favorite song on the countdown. Hits 1, please be nice to this one!


A Little Less Conversation And A Little More Blurb My Body

- I have no complaints at all about either of our exits. Pillowtalk was due to leave for a while and Youth I was never the biggest fan of on its own. Next!

- Lost Boy by Ruth B. doesn't seem to want to leave. It's like the puppy you find out in the middle of nowhere. "No, please, don't throw me out in the street!"
 Kinda cute when you think about it.


- Whoa! New Romantics by Taylor Swift took another fast drop right down to the bottom of the 30s.
 I actually really want it to stay for at least one more week.


- Unsteady by X Ambassadors has rebounded okay for a song that just had the biggest DRRRRRRROP!!! of the week two weeks in a row. Also, I watched their performance on Good Morning America yesterday. That was cool.


- Cake By The Ocean by DNCE dropping is good. I'll be okay with Let It Go leaving when that time comes, too.


- All three of our debuts from last week were tied with the biggest jump of the week. And on that note, with Body Say, I know the word "sex" was in the chorus for a little while, but they replaced that word with "best". Only yesterday did I hear it that way for the first time. That's pretty lame, Hits 1.


- I'm not even gonna comment on the fact that Me Too by Meghan Trainor is above I Took a Pill In Ibiza by Mike Posner.


- Has anyone else besides me noticed that Once In A While by Timeflies has only dropped once? Not complaining at all, though.


- Figure Me Out and We Don't Talk Anymore are songs that I feel like they're just gonna swap between green and blue depending on my mood.


- Toothbrush by DNCE, on the other hand, is getting a lot less interesting. There's not much I see to it other than an alright groove. I'll still take it over its predecessor at this point, though.


- I'm surprised Dangerous Woman by Ariana Grande has hit a new peak only now. I still like that guitar solo, but aside from that it's not that good, at least not in the face of its successor.


- I will be astounded if Sit Still, Look Pretty by Daya hits #1. I didn't care for the song to begin with, and it's only getting worse with every listen.


Hit-Bound

  • Hymn For The Weekend (Seeb Remix) by Coldplay
  • Back 2 U by Steve Aoki and Boehm featuring Walk The Moon
  • Rise by Katy Perry
  • Brand New by Ben Rector
  • Heathens by Twenty-one Pilots
  • Closer by The Chainsmokers featuring Halsey (debut)
  • Fresh Eyes by Andy Grammer
  • Red Dress by MAGIC!
  • All In My Head (Flex) by Fifth Harmony
  • Spirits by The Strumbellas
  • Never Be Like You by Flume featuring Kai
  • Wild by Troye Sivan and Alessia Cara
  • Superstitious by MKTO
  • Setting The World On Fire by Kenny Chesney featuring P!nk (debut)
- The Chainsmokers are back, and this time around they got Halsey from the crappy New Americana, for a new track called Closer. It fails compared to Roses and Don't Let Me Down. I'll go more in detail if it makes the countdown, but yeah, it's pretty weak.

- It's pretty rare that we see country music on Hits 1, even though we had a few songs by Sam Hunt in the past year. Listening to Setting The World On Fire, I can see how P!nk's voice fits in country as she comes alongside Kenny Chesney. Not quite sure if I think it's great yet, though.


- With Into You now on the countdown, Back 2 U is my new favorite song on Hit-Bound. It'd be great to see it get on the countdown soon.


Heathens might debut soon if the Suicide Squad hype doesn't die out. Is it still an unpopular opinion to like that one?


Top 20 Breakdown:

0 - Garbage:
20. Me Too by Meghan Trainor

1 - Bad:

19. Sit Still, Look Pretty by Daya

2 - Meh:

18. One Dance by Drake featuring WizKid and Kyla
17. This Is What You Came For by Calvin Harris with Rihanna

3 - Decent:

16. Toothbrush by DNCE
15. Dangerous Woman by Ariana Grande
14. Treat You Better by Shawn Mendes

4 - Good:

13. Figure Me Out by The Summer Set
12. Stressed Out by Twenty-one Pilots
11. We Don't Talk Anymore by Charlie Puth and Selena Gomez
10. Don't Let Me Down by The Chainsmokers featuring Daya

5 - Great:

9. Send My Love (To Your New Lover) by Adele
8. Just Like Fire by P!nk
7. Body Say by Demi Lovato
6. Cheap Thrills by Sia featuring Sean Paul
5. Can't Stop the Feeling! by Justin Timberlake
4. I Took a Pill In Ibiza by Mike Posner
3. Once In A While by Timeflies
2. Ride by Twenty-one Pilots
1. The Sound by The 1975

Overall score: 75/100 - Solid


Countdown Bottom 5

1. Me Too by Meghan Trainor
2. Kill 'Em With Kindness by Selena Gomez
3. Sit Still, Look Pretty by Daya
4. No by Meghan Trainor
5. Work From Home by Fifth Harmony

Countdown Top 5

1. Into You by Ariana Grande
2. The Sound by The 1975
3. Ride by Twenty-one Pilots
4. Once In A While by Timeflies
5. I Took a Pill In Ibiza by Mike Posner

Hit-Bound Top 5

1. Back 2 U by Steve Aoki & Boehm featuring Walk The Moon
2. Heathens by Twenty-one Pilots
3. Spirits by The Strumbellas
4. Hymn For The Weekend (Seeb Remix) by Coldplay
5. Superstitious by MKTO

Most Missed Song: The Hills by The Weeknd - Honestly, I'm really wondering if I should have swapped places with this and Can't Feel My Face...


#1 Recommendation For Hits 1 And The Countdown: Kiss The Sky by Jason Derulo


Songs That Debuted This Week One Year Ago:

Hide Away by Daya - Already talked about this one, it's a teenager relentlessly seeking who has nowhere near as much swagger as she tries to deliver. Next!
Drag Me Down by One Direction - Yep, still good, but I don't know if I'd quite call it great. It's not far from there, though.

In other news... I finally caved. I got Pokémon Go. Looking for Pokémon is fun. But it eats your phone's battery like there's no tomorrow. And I hope that someday they put Unova and Sinnoh Pokémon in that thing. Otherwise they're just trying to appeal to the genwunners. 
That aside, thanks for reading, everybody!

6 comments:

  1. Great post!
    #TeamNoSitStill,LookPretty

    The Pop 20 Chart is out!
    http://pop45chart.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I said in one of my posts that Once in a While dropped June 18.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eh, forgot about that. But seeing as what little the song has done it's easy to forget stuff like that :P

      Delete
  3. Nice post! I played Pokemon Go for a few days and then it got boring so I stopped.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eh, I wasn't big on the hype train when it first came, I've found some fun stuff but a lot of Pidgey, Weedle, Rattata and other early game derps :P

      Delete